Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damisparkles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damisparkles.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Post by Damisparkles »

I think the book focuses on a really exclusive topic, with regards to kids handling wrongful conviction of close ties. This makes it seem interesting to read already, especially with the very simple illustration the review provided.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

An entertaining and enlightening book for kids and the whole family. Thorough review. Thanks.
Katreadsbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katreadsbooks »

I think it's great that books are educating children in the area of diffucult times in life. Not eveything is butterflies and rainbows.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a difficult subject! I suppose some people might just prefer to lie to children and say that the person concerned has had to go and work abroad, or something, but it's probably better to tell the truth - if only because they're bound to get to hear about it anyway. In those circumstances, a book like this could be really useful.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

A great way to show an unfortunate situation. By using a real life situation it would be even more relatable for children. Thanks for sharing.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AFennell1330
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AFennell1330 »

It’s a great story but I feel like it shouldn’t be a children story. Yeah it’s okay to warn a child about what could happen in the world but some kids may think that it’s okay for they uncle to go away. Somethings shouldn’t be known to kids because they are going to want to try it or even do it. Kids minds are very inspirational and what they see or hear is what they think...just a thought but it was a nice heartfelt book.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What is interesting to me is that this situation is prevalent, but books to help out children deal with this subject are not readily available. Your review is a wonderful compliment to the author who lived this experience and now has used that unpleasant time to make it easier for others who may be currently experiencing this situation. Your review has made me want to look further into this book. I think kids who haven't even had a family member go to jail may learn some valuable information contained in this book. I like the idea that someone could take such a lofty subject and make it understandable to children. Great job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Children's Books”