Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
anneloretrujillo
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home? by Christiane Joy Allison

Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Post by anneloretrujillo » 08 Feb 2018, 12:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Can't Uncle Come Home?" by Christiane Joy Allison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Can’t Uncle Come Home? is a children’s book written by Christiane Joy Allison and illustrated by Liz Shine. The book is about 5-year-old Timmy and his family as they learn to deal with the wrongful conviction of his uncle. The story starts out with the family all spending time together. Timmy notices something is up when his aunt and mom start talking about something called a trial. He is told that the kids have to stay home because it is not a good place for children. After days of this trial, Timmy’s parents come home crying and tell him that his uncle has to go to jail. Timmy doesn’t want his uncle to go and doesn’t understand why he can’t just come home. Will he ever be able to come to terms with this event?

This book is based on true events in the lives of the author and illustrator. The author wrote this story around the questions that her niece and nephew had when their uncle was wrongly convicted. At the end of the book, the author included a note to parents with this information as well as some statistics on wrongful conviction in the United States. It made me realize that it is a real problem, and children are affected by it. The author wrote this book to help those kids.

The message of this book was very impactful, and the author did a great job of getting it across. It is definitely not an easy topic to sit and explain to kids. The author dealt with it personally, so she is the perfect person to write a book that does the explaining. She used an amazing metaphor to get the idea of a wrongful conviction across in a way that kids could easily relate to. I don’t want to spoil the book by writing the metaphor here, but I was very impressed at how relative it was.

Not only was the message portrayed well, but the book was also very well-written. It was at a great level for kids between the ages of 4 and 10. The little ones could have it read to them, and the older ones could read it with a little guided help. The vocabulary was right at their level with just a few words that would really need some explaining, such as “innocence” and “conviction”. Because of the nature of the story, those words are unavoidable. With the level and flow of this book, parents can really focus on the message with their kids instead of the difficulty of the book.

The illustrations of this book were also great. They were the icing on the cake. Each one had great detail and perfectly matched the part of the story it was correlated with. The text was interspersed throughout the pictures in a great overall format. It all tied together perfectly.

There is nothing to critique about this book. It deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. It took a difficult topic and put it into a relatable, easy-to-read story. I would suggest this book to any families that are dealing with the issue of wrongful conviction or to parents and educators that just want to teach children about this important topic.

Why Can't Uncle Come Home?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 660
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: Lost in the reflecting pool
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 09 Feb 2018, 02:48

It's really great to see a first-hand experience account on this incident. Not only does this offer an accurate picture, it also gives a good point to the reader in how to handle difficult situations specially when the kids are involved. Thanks!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Feb 2018, 08:16

Wow! I don't think that's a message I've seen in a children's book before. I'm glad it was done well. I think it's great that the author wrote it based on real-life events. I hope it helps some children struggling with something similar out there! Thanks for introducing this one to us!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jomarpacaldo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jomarpacaldo » 09 Feb 2018, 10:01

It's a kind of story that very realistic in which its happening nowadays, but I think its hard for a very young children to understand such that kind of things.

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 144
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Harvest Of The Remnant by Dr. Wanda D. Tolbert

Post by Mercy Bolo » 09 Feb 2018, 10:38

I like that the author presents such a heavy subject matter to children but does it in a consumable manner.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

JusCally
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading: Water for Elephants
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JusCally » 09 Feb 2018, 14:05

I think picture books are a wonderful medium for expressing complex and painful truths to children, though it's incredibly hard to break down heavy material in a way that a child will not only understand but internalize without being afraid.

This sounds like a great book for introducing concepts relating to the justice system, and especially to help families dealing with incarceration.

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... 60&t=53052" class="postlink">"The Haunted Painting on the Wall" by Devika A. Rosamund</a>

Post by MsTri » 09 Feb 2018, 23:33

This sounds like a gem of a book. And it's all-the-better because it's based on real-life events. I also love children's books that have important lessons and this one tackles a pretty heavy subject for a child, doing it well. I don't have any children in my life for whom it would be relevant, but I think I'd like to read it just for my own fortification. Thanks for the introduction!

jaylperry
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50286">The Polygrapher</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jaylperry » 11 Feb 2018, 14:26

I'm glad to see authors writing about difficult subjects like this in a way that is accessible for young readers. In a way it reminds me of the old Mr. Rogers books about divorce, moving away, or dealing with divorce. Thank you for reviewing this book!
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle

cristinaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 15 Feb 2018, 08:31

Thank you for a wonderful review. The topic is indeed very interesting and I would definitely be interested in reading and seeing for myself how the author managed to make it appropriate for children.

Lincolnshirelass
Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass » 15 Feb 2018, 08:40

An excellent review, and this seems like a very brave book for managing to present a subject like this in child-friendly terms. But often I think they can cope with difficult issues better than we give them credit for.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Children's Books”