Review by holsam_87 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley is an interesting take on a boy's smelly socks. In the book, Sigfried explains that he has smelly socks, but there are much worse things to smell than his socks. Throughout the book, other examples are given, such as his baby sister's stinky diaper or moldy food. In the end, he concludes that will wash his socks and then proceeds to wash in a spot that keeps true to the idea of stinky smells.

This book is very clever with its hand-drawn characters and realistic looking backgrounds where it can be seen that real furniture is being used. Its bright, and quite eye-catching too. It adds a different feel to the story, unlike the typical children's books that are either primarily drawn or uses completely uses real images. It's due to this style, that children will enjoy it.

There's also the word imagery that is used to describe each item. By saying that one sock smells like rotting garbage, while another smells like rotting fish is an excellent way to get the audience's attention and it might cause some interesting reactions as well. Rhyming was also used a lot, which plays more to a child and gets them thinking about how something stinks and why it stinks. I can also picture lots of giggling too as kids imagine what each thing smells like.

I would definitely recommend this book to parents and teachers to read to their students. Since it is primarily aimed at fairly young children, it would be a hit with preschoolers, kindergarteners, and first graders. Some of the older kids might enjoy it as well. I know this from my experience in schools and different classrooms where kids are reading books. This book may even be listed on the AR reading program, which would count for them to get incentives for their reading goals.

I rate Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley as 3 out of 4 stars because I found it to be fun and entertaining. The fact that it focused on smells was even better. If the author has any more books like this one, I would love to read them too. The whimsical feeling gives me a warm reminder of what it was like to be a kid and finding reasons why my clothes didn't smell as bad as other items in my home. It is definitely a relatable topic for anyone.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”