Official Review: The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks" by Declan Harney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a surly neighbor traipsing into your yard, cutting your flowers, and then displaying them on her own kitchen table for all of her friends to see! How rude! Well, this is precisely the type of situation presented to the poor Treebobs in The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks! Declan Harney introduces readers to yet another charming entry into his heartwarming, 25 story compilation: The Treebobs Series. This British author is a noted conservationist, and his energetic vigilance toward nature preservation is evident in his whimsy outdoor scenes.

Like the other Treebobs stories, The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks follows the villainous schemes of Rotten Rena, a wicked witch, and this time Badlot Barbara is helping her. The two are cousins who incessantly pester the otherwise well-wishing Treebobs with whom they share a forest. The Treebobs, a small elfish race who live and cavort with resident fairies, including the magical Bindweed Belle, find themselves distraught when they discover Rena and Barbara cutting local trees to make and sell broomsticks! If that weren’t bad enough, the induction of the witches’ broom shop brings even more witches to the forest. This results in noisy and dangerous flight conditions for the smaller creatures attempting to travel.

In the end, the Treebobs, fairies, and woodland creatures band together to hatch and deploy an enchanted plan to upset the broomstick business for good. Lighthearted animal lovers will particularly enjoy these scenes as the small creatures are depicted helping and scurrying about in an adorable Snow-White fashion. The illustrations in this book are particularly standout all around. The bright colors and imaginative backgrounds paint the perfect setting for woodland magic. Any families who are fantasy fanatics will undoubtedly appreciate the detail.

This book doubles as a communication tool for families due to its interactive page at the story’s end. There one finds a list of open-ended questions and activities for audiences of all ages. Questions provoking thoughts about reducing usage and even replanting trees mark exceptional ways to start sustainability conservations with children. It’s clear that Harney finds this a subject that is never too early to broach!

I rated The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks 3 out of 4 stars. I am a sucker for playful characters, and there is no race more imaginative than the Treebobs! Grammatical errors kept this book from a 4-star review, but the activity page and magical bonus recipe at the end really make this book unique. I suggest this read for any that like to take their time with stories and let their imaginations fly!

The Treebobs and the Dizzy Broomsticks
View: on Bookshelves

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think it's always a good thing to write children's books with an educational purpose in mind too. This is not happening so often these days. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a great family adventure for all to share. I love the interactive nature of the book. The names are cute too. All in all, sounds like a great story. Too bad about the errors. I really dislike errors in children's books.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

This book sounds delightfully adorable. I'd never heard of it before, but I feel like I might actually look to read one of them. Is it a Middlegrade book?
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 03:20 I think it's always a good thing to write children's books with an educational purpose in mind too. This is not happening so often these days. Thank you for your review.
Yes! The environmental focus in the back is definitely unique! :techie-studyinggray:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 08:16 The names are cute too.
Seriously, adorable! :D
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

SPasciuti wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 15:51 Is it a Middlegrade book?
Yes, I'd say if the child is the one actually reading aloud then middle grade (ages 8-12) would be appropriate. I also think (as a parent myself) it's an enjoyable storybook read for parents reading to tots, hence my umbrella of "audiences of all ages."
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The active nature in this book sure seem to give credit to this book, despite the errors. I believe that the kids would love it! Thanks for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really fun book and a great way to introduce children to conservation. Why-o-why don't people get their books professional edited?!?
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 12:57 Why-o-why don't people get their books professional edited?!?
I asked the same question! But, since this is a popular series, I have to assume they have an editor? Many of the mistakes were in the auxiliary materials in the back. So it's possible those were added without thinking to send to the editing?
-Dr. Seuss
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I want to read this book myself. I want to see how the small creatures aid to destroy these cousins' business. Besides, I love books that guide kids to protect our earth. Thanks for sharing your insights about this book!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kalin Adi wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 11:47 I want to see how the small creatures aid to destroy these cousins' business.
To be fair, it's only one scene in the book but who doesn't love woodland animals!? :P
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds very cute and the title and the book cover draw me in immediately. However, more than any other book, I intensely dislike errors in children's books. It is such a pivotal part of their learning, and when there are errors in the books they read, it will impact their own grammatical skill! Ugh. Such a shame.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 02:38 However, more than any other book, I intensely dislike errors in children's books... Ugh. Such a shame.
A shame, and surprising from a book that is part of a well-known series!
-Dr. Seuss
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Even though am not in the appropriate age group, I wouldn't be able to resist such a magic filled story line with vibrant, imaginative characters especially after reading your exceptional review!

Return to “Children's Books”