Official Review: Kindness Is Key by Alexis Bloomer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Kindness Is Key by Alexis Bloomer

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kindness Is Key" by Alexis Bloomer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grown-ups often think that children don’t have much problems. Yet, to a tiny person, their problems may seem like boulders that they are unable to climb over. One of these major obstacles that children often come across, is bullying. Children are at the stage in their lives, in which they are learning to interact with their peers, and often, these interactions can leave a lasting impact on their lives.

Kindness Is Key, written by Alexis Bloomer deals with the ever-important issue of bullying. It is a Children’s book that is written with a simple rhyme scheme. It is published by Archway Publishing. The themes that are dealt with in this book, include: bullying, peer-pressure, self-esteem, kindness, and doing the right thing.

This book highlights that all people are different; and that it is a great thing to be unique. We may all have different appearances and personalities, yet at the same time, we are so similar. We experience joy when we are happy, and sadness when our feelings are hurt. The important message that is underlined throughout this book is that we should not judge other people by their looks and we should not be mean to them. Rather, we should always be kind. As the author repeatedly states: “Kindness is key”. On the other hand, standing up to bullies and people that threaten us, is also important. We should not be bullied and be made to feel small just because of who we are. We should love ourselves.

I am glad that this book has been written. I, myself, have a younger sibling, and often teach the same values to her. We have always taught her to treat others with kindness, and to stick up for those in need. Bullying often continues because of the many silent observers around. Children should be taught to speak up when they see someone being bullied, and if they feel wronged by another. This book reminds me of the ‘Golden Rule’ I was taught as a child: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.

I find that society often emphasizes the basic rights, so children grow up thinking that they have the right and freedom to do whatever they want. However, responsibilities are unfortunately not emphasized as much. Children should be taught that they have the responsibility to be kind and make others feel comfortable around them. As well as the responsibility to stand up and not allow themselves to be bullied.

Pictures are an essential part of any children’s book. The pictures in this book are bright and colorful. They feature an assortment of diverse children together, emphasizing their uniqueness and unity, and encouraging readers to accept all of their differences.

The structure of the book is neat, bright, and colorful, the rhyme scheme is enjoyable to read, and the pictures are attractive and pleasant. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to all parents with children, and school teachers. Reading this book out loud in a classroom will surely bring the topic to light, and highlight the importance of kindness to the children, while the rhyme will entice the children to focus and retain the message of the book to memory.

Kindness Is Key
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
SwapsB
Currently Reading: The Lucky One
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by SwapsB »

As per your review, I too recommend this book to children. Thanks for elaborated review.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review. I agree with you that children should be taught to speak up for themselves and others. If they don't do this at an early age then they will most definitely not do it later on.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like there are some great themes in this book that are perfect to teach to children. The fact that it's done in such a lovely manner is a plus. If I had children, I would get this book. Thanks so much for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I am very happy that this kind of a book been produced would be very useful and effective. Since it's simply and easy to understand I don't think it would bring trouble tor children to understand what the author has to say. A very important book that any parent have to get to their kids. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rose_13
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kealani.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rose_13 »

Very good review. I absolutely agree; all children need to learn responsibility, being kind,
and standing up for what is right early.

Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
paciorek
Favorite Author: Pete Paciorek
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 110923

Post by paciorek »

Thanks for the review of this book that speaks against bullying, and how we can encourage more acts of kindness in our children. I am going online to buy it now for my children.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I am sure your children will enjoy the book as much as I did.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

You did a great job encompassing the work of the book. I will also be recommending this book to others in my community. We can't have enough books covering this topic. Thank you for your review.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

Return to “Children's Books”