Official Review: Harvest Of The Remnant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Harvest Of The Remnant

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Harvest Of The Remnant" by Dr. Wanda D. Tolbert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A lot of people were raised in religious homes but as time goes by, they keep falling by the wayside. The reason for this change is what Dr. Wanda D. Tolbert seeks to uncover in the novel, Harvest of the Remnant. The main protagonist is a young, Christian girl in her senior year of highschool. The story focuses on her social life, her family, her beliefs and the opinions she forms along the way.

The story begins with the lead character, who isn't mentioned by name, introducing the reader to the world around her. She has four best friends, goes to a local church and is planning to go on a missionary trip to Honduras. The story then follows her as she leaves high school and goes off to college. It is inspiring to note that her faith doesn't dim, although she is far away from the strict supervision of her parents. The college chapter of her life brings with it multiple twists and turns that really spiced up the book.

This being the second book in The Harvester series, I hadn't read it's prequel, The Harvest is Past, the Summer is Ended, and We are Not Saved! I imagined that would be a setback but it wasn't. I can confidently attest that this book can be consumed as a stand alone. Narrated in the first person point of view, it is a fast-paced story, written in simple language. This makes it a quick read and it's a bonus because it does a good job of tackling pertinent issues in society. I must mention that this was classified as a children's book but after reading it, I can clearly see that it doesn't belong there but is more suited to the other fiction category.

The author skilfully handles the themes of policy, hypocrisy and double standards in the church. Anyone who's been a member of any church or religious organization will find familiarity in the author's sentiments. As a young college student, the girl is quite vocal about how the church leadership makes the rules but will readily twist them to accommodate their needs. She also compares different churches and the level of rigidity it imposes upon it's members. Personally, I know of some religious organizations that I wouldn't join even if I was paid to. The author also emphasizes the importance of education and puts across the point that people in church leadership positions should be highly qualified in those respective fields. This should be so in order to provide quality services to the congregation.

The only downside is that I ran into a few typos and grammatical issues, which include awkwardly worded phrases, misplaced commas, a misplaced apostrophe and on page 12, there's a misplaced ellipsis. All these could be reconciled with a round of editing. I was also disappointed that the characters introduced at the beginning of the book remained rooted there and nothing is mentioned about them throughout the rest of the story. This omission had me confused at first but I think that the author wanted to focus on the girl's life. If that was the intention, it was achieved.

I'll therefore give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to anyone who desires a thought provoking read.

Harvest Of The Remnant
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As I first started reading this review I thought "Yay, another Pollyanna Christian fairytale book." But it sounds like this book went a bit deeper. That is so rare. I would never have picked this book, as both the title (and the title of the series) are off-putting to me, not to mention the cover. This should be a reminder to me to not solely judge a book by its cover. Thanks for the review. I may at least take a look at a sample. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the typos. It sounds like quite the book. I do agree that there are double standards within the church that can be a stumbling block for many. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You are braver than I am to pick up book two of a series without reading the first book. I'm entirely too Type A to do something like that.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 17:22 You are braver than I am to pick up book two of a series without reading the first book. I'm entirely too Type A to do something like that.
Thank you. I'm glad my bravery paid off.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 15:52 As I first started reading this review I thought "Yay, another Pollyanna Christian fairytale book." But it sounds like this book went a bit deeper. That is so rare. I would never have picked this book, as both the title (and the title of the series) are off-putting to me, not to mention the cover. This should be a reminder to me to not solely judge a book by its cover. Thanks for the review. I may at least take a look at a sample. :)
Thank you. I also envisioned this to be one of those "get saved or die" kind of books. I'm glad the author highlighted issues that take place but are spoken about in hushed tones in many of our religious establishments.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 15:56 It's too bad about the typos. It sounds like quite the book. I do agree that there are double standards within the church that can be a stumbling block for many. Thanks!
From what I've experienced, these double standards have driven away many young people from church.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 17:22 You are braver than I am to pick up book two of a series without reading the first book. I'm entirely too Type A to do something like that.
I totally agree with you, so it seems I'll have to get book ONE since book two does sound like my kind of read... I also agree w/Kat Berg that neither the cover nor title would have led me to pick this up, so thanks for the awesome review.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

You made me curious about the entire series. I have mixed feelings about religion and its role in society so I am curious how these books tackle such issues. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 04:53 You made me curious about the entire series. I have mixed feelings about religion and its role in society so I am curious how these books tackle such issues. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. Although the book centers around Christianity, I liked that it focuses on ways in which the practice can be improved.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Children's Books”