Official Review: Birthday of the wings by Alfia Idle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Birthday of the wings by Alfia Idle

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Birthday of the wings" by Alfia Idle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Birthday of the Wings is a children's book written by Alfia Idle and illustrated by Martin Creasey. It is a collection of fourteen short stories covering various topics. The author suggests that readers should find a perfect tale which matches and resonates with their core energy. This, he says, is key for miracles to start happening thus warding off uncertainties, replacing them with clarity and truth .

Each story has it's own character and is suitable for different audiences or states of mind. The author's artful personification of inanimate, everyday objects was interesting to read. There is a story in which a pen and pencil are the main characters and another one in which a flowered dress takes the lead. Some stories also featured animals like cats, horses, snakes and in another one, a duck is one of the protagonists. This aspect of the book will enhance children's creativity and imagination. It is also worth mentioning that reading the whole book will transport the reader to various places like China and a small town in England. As I read through the book, I was glad to come across different scenery like a mountainside, a forest, a park and a courtyad.

It is difficult to pick one favorite out of this collection because I liked them all. First place goes to "The Shopkeeper's Son" which is downright hilarious. It's about a lazy, young man who fails to step up to the occasion of managing his father's shop and ends up learning the hard way that hard work and responsibility are vital traits for survival. It also teaches that people should utilize opportunities that come their way, lest they be taken away.

The stories are well paced and there are accompanying illustrations throughout the book. This being a children's book, the language is simple with minimal complex vocabulary. On the positive side, it will help children learn new words. The writing style is also catchy and filled with imagery, without becoming too overbearing. Otherwise, it would give the reader a hard time trying to decipher the hidden meaning behind phrases. Overall, I was impressed by how well presented the work is.

The themes covered in this book are timely and relevant. They include good behavior, kindness, meaningful relationships and resourcefulness. These are traits that people need to acquire early on in life. It's a plus that this book presents them in an appealing manner, which made many of the stories stay with me long after I was done reading them.

Although I could tell that the book was well edited, I was massively disappointed that some parts of the book (from the PDF copy I received) were missing. It was quite frustrating to be engrossed in a story then it came to an abrupt end or parts of it were missing. This however did not prevent me from grasping an overview of the author's words in those incidents. I can comfortably say that I am quite satisfied with what I read.

I will therefore subtract one star and give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It is a book I would recommend to parents, children of ages 8-12 and anyone who desires a reflective read.

Birthday of the wings
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I think parents would like to gift this book to their kids. The vivid imagination (development of mind) will help them to develop themselves and also help them in their studies and life situations. Thank you for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It sounds like the book has some formatting problems, but otherwise it seems like a good piece of reading for younger children. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Parts of the book were missing? How disappointing! I hope that in the actual ebook copy, that isn't the case! Still, I love the short story idea for children. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

An anthology book for children? Sounds really interesting. It's too bad about parts that are missing, leading to a less than satisfying read, so let's hope any print copies don't have that issue. I also like that many of the stories have a lesson and are for more than just entertainment. I think I'll chance it and check this one out. Thanks for the introduction.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

MsTri wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 12:10 An anthology book for children? Sounds really interesting. It's too bad about parts that are missing, leading to a less than satisfying read, so let's hope any print copies don't have that issue. I also like that many of the stories have a lesson and are for more than just entertainment. I think I'll chance it and check this one out. Thanks for the introduction.
Thank you. I hope the print copies are in better shape because it's such a good book.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 09:06 Parts of the book were missing? How disappointing! I hope that in the actual ebook copy, that isn't the case! Still, I love the short story idea for children. Thanks for the review.
I've never read a short story book for children and I was really glad to stumble upon this one.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 05:41 I think parents would like to gift this book to their kids. The vivid imagination (development of mind) will help them to develop themselves and also help them in their studies and life situations. Thank you for the details!
Thank you. I also see the massive potential of a complete version of the book.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

cristinaro wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 06:09 It sounds like the book has some formatting problems, but otherwise, it seems like a good piece of reading for younger children. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. I was very moved by the author's sentiments.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Children's Books”