Review by Momiji1987 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a book written and illustrated by Len Foley and geared towards children ages 3-7 years old. I like this age span because kids can start by listening as it’s read aloud and later read it on their own. The author has identified a reading level for his book, but the rating doesn’t encompass a fun level. I think this little book is fun for all ages!

I loved everything about this book. The story is very creative and enjoyable to read. It’s about a little boy named Sigfried who is trying to figure out where all the bad smells on the pages of his book are coming from. He has lots of ideas, whether it’s from a rotten banana, his baby sister, or his uncle Kato. He eventually discovers the culprit and vows to eradicate it with hilarious results. I can’t really say anything more, but it’s definitely worth reading to the end.

I like the digital photography the author combines with his drawings. This approach brings an element of realism and fun to the illustrations. The drawings are beautifully colored and shaded and are engaging to look at. There are cute little details like insects that have their own thoughts, and funny looking people that react to the odors. There are also some unidentifiable objects in the pictures that would be fun to ask kids to imagine what they could be. This addition gives the book a level of interactivity that would be especially fun to play with in group settings.

The rhymes and accompanying pictures are great for helping kids learn to read new words easier. There are also some creative words like dribbled and reeks that the author uses to describe some of the smells. Reading unique adjectives like these in the book can help teach kids more advanced vocabulary. The content looks great in digital format but would be even better in print. A parent or teacher could really put on a performance reacting to each of the icky pages as they turn them.

This book is full of gross stuff to look at and think about, but most kids and adults will enjoy it. The characters are cute and relatable and it might be a good tool for parents to use to encourage kids to pick up after themselves. I didn’t really find anything in it offensive, but more sensitive types might be turned off by some of the descriptions like dog pee and diapers. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This book will entertain kids over and over and would have been a favorite of mine at their ages.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

wow, Nice review. I love this book as well. I agree your points in this book.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I agree absolutely caters the need of children. It's rhyming, illustrations are all eye catching. Thanks for this beautiful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I agree with you that the kids and the young at heart will enjoy reading this book. Well, one would imagine about the diapers. Quite gross. Thanks for the nice review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

pinklover wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 03:03 wow, Nice review. I love this book as well. I agree your points in this book.
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 09:40 I agree absolutely caters the need of children. It's rhyming, illustrations are all eye catching. Thanks for this beautiful review.
Thank you so much for your comment! I would have loved this book when I was little.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Paul78 wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 04:29 I agree with you that the kids and the young at heart will enjoy reading this book. Well, one would imagine about the diapers. Quite gross. Thanks for the nice review.
Haha! Yeah, the diaper part is pretty nasty. But it’s funny also in a gross way. It made me think of the game where you put chocolate in a diaper and try to guess what candy bar it was. I always hated going to baby showers and playing that game.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review. Your description of the illustrations and the rhyming make this seem like an ideal book for the age group it targets. The unfamiliar words provide a good learning experience. Great points. Thanks.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 10:05 Interesting review. Your description of the illustrations and the rhyming make this seem like an ideal book for the age group it targets. The unfamiliar words provide a good learning experience. Great points. Thanks.
Thank you so much for reading and commenting!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

A funny, engaging story, good art, and rhyming are great elements for a kid's book. I'm glad you liked it!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 21:30 A funny, engaging story, good art, and rhyming are great elements for a kid's book. I'm glad you liked it!
Yes, it’s really cute and fun to read. I can just imagine the reaction of kids when they read it. Thanks for commenting and reading my review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like how you give an age range in your review. That is really helpful for people who might not have kids but want to buy it is a gift. I also like your warning about dog pee and diapers :lol2:
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

CommMayo wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 11:11 I like how you give an age range in your review. That is really helpful for people who might not have kids but want to buy it is a gift. I also like your warning about dog pee and diapers :lol2:
Ha! Thanks, it’s a great, fun story with plenty to keep you grossed out about!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also had fun with the book, but the ending was too gross for comfort! I guess mommies like you know best what kids will enjoy. (I place this one in the horror genre for kids, lol.)

I've not heard or experienced that diaper-chocolate ritual in baby showers. Am I glad, haha!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 18:33 I also had fun with the book, but the ending was too gross for comfort! I guess mommies like you know best what kids will enjoy. (I place this one in the horror genre for kids, lol.)

I've not heard or experienced that diaper-chocolate ritual in baby showers. Am I glad, haha!
Lol! The horror genre! I love it! You’re so lucky not to have experienced the diaper challenge. Melted chocolate in a diaper is the most disgusting thing ever, lol.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”