Official Review: the christmas mouse by Mark Spencer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: the christmas mouse by Mark Spencer

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the christmas mouse" by Mark Spencer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Christmas Mouse by Mark Spencer is an illustrated children’s book that takes place in the stables on the night the Savior is born. A small mouse spreads the word to the animals of the Savior’s impending birth. Although the mouse is very excited, the other animals complain about the impact this event might have on them. The donkey worries he will lose his bed made of hay, the sheep thinks his wool might be sheared to clothe the baby, etc. When an angel appears and requests help, how will the farm animals respond?

Written completely in rhyme, the story creatively discusses one aspect of the first Christmas Eve. The mouse is a sweet character that children are sure to love. There are a variety of farm animals in the story, and each is described with a distinctive attribute - the goat’s milk, the sheep’s wool, the donkey’s hay, etc.

The main plot is easy to follow. Some parts of the story have a heavy religious tone, although other sections focus on the animals’ realistic responses to visitors coming to their habitat. Many of the word choices are too sophisticated for young children (harken, anointed, decree, ilk, etc.). It would have been helpful to include a glossary of the advanced words since I think kids would become confused by the language.

The author uses a formal rhyme scheme, with the second and fourth lines rhyming. The writing has a natural, lyrical style, and there are no instances of stilted phrasing in order to include a word that rhymes. One section has a nice refrain as each animal, in turn, wonders if they will be inconvenienced in specific ways. Kids usually like this plot device, where the same phrase or question is answered by different characters.

The story is illustrated beautifully by Polona Lovsin. Each set of four lines is well placed at the top of the pages, which allows the artwork to be showcased. What I loved most were the characters’ facial expressions, particularly those of the cute mouse. In additional to the story, there is a nice bonus section of crafts and other suggestions to keep the Christmas Mouse tradition alive during the holiday season.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The frequent use of advanced words kept me from awarding the highest rating to this heartwarming Christmas story. All ages would enjoy this book, although the rhyming text and picture book format is geared toward younger children.

the christmas mouse
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that takes place in the stables on the night Jesus was born and told from the POV of the animals? Interesting idea.
Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy the thought of this book. It's too bad about the advanced words, but for a kid at heart like me, it might be perfect! This is the kind of poetry I can get into :) Thanks again for another lovely review! You're the best.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by cshaffer17 »

I’m a sucker for illustration. I would read the book on the reviewers referral to the artwork, alone!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
AEM
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by AEM »

I liked it it had good lessons in it and should really be in a big store
Ancilharper82
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ancilharper82 »

This book enjoyable and well written
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

This looks like a good book to present the religious perspective in a way to them. I guess it has a lot of elements that can teach some things to children, for example sharing and helping.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I love it already. this book can be very entertaining as it also teaches Christian values to children. Thanks for the review
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! This is a book I can see children wanting to read over and over every holiday season.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

In spite of the big words, this book sounds very cute. And I am a sucker for rhyming! (Just ask my students. I do it all the time.) Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a cute perspective of the Savior's birth! I don't think anyone has yet told the story from the view of the stable inhabitants. Done in verse and with wonderful illustrations to boot, this book is a must-read for me. I hope I get the chore done before Christmas, LOL!

Thanks, Bookowlie, for the fun review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Miriam and Kat Berg! I also like rhyming books as long as the rhyming words are a good fit. Some authors just stick in an awkward word to fit in a word that rhymes. I am glad this wasn't the case here.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a truly fascinating read. We all know the story of the First Christmas, so I love tales that have a different take on the event. It's a shame about the complex words, but perhaps they could also be used as a teaching tool for youngsters. When I was young - and even now, if I'm being honest - my favorite books were the ones that sent me to my dictionary, as I have always love learning new words to use. In any event, thanks for the great introduction to this book!
Ridestherange
Favorite Author: Joseph F. Girzone
Favorite Book: Joshua: A Parable for Today
Currently Reading: Tales from Gundarland
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ridestherange.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3991

Post by Ridestherange »

Thank you for the thorough review. Sounds like a cute story.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an exciting read for children as they take deep interest in animals. Good rhyming and illustrations are part of a good story book for children. Thanks for your thought provoking review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Children's Books”