Review by dphelps1113 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dphelps1113
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by dphelps1113 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by dphelps1113 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is written by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon, and Margaret B. Hannon with both Ann and Margaret illustrating. What I initially loved about this book was that it was an extremely easily read. The illustrations were nothing too fancy and appealed to me on the level of toddler teacher because, at first glance, it screamed “relatable” for all the children I have taught over the years. As for an overall rating, I would give it 2 out of 4 stars. The tale was very short and the title was extremely catchy, but it really lacked a good story.

The ending was cute, with the story being very simple and easy to follow. I felt like I was reading the short, simple, stories written by an imaginative four year old. Even with these kind of tales there always seems to be a take away message. Unfortunately, this is something that “Puffy” lacked for me. I was left with so many burning questions that I felt should have been addressed in the beginning stages of this children’s tale.

Who is Puffy? What exactly makes him/her so special and different than any other cat we have read about in various children’s stories. There was no formal introduction besides that he is an “amazing” cat. What makes the cat so amazing? Where does it come from? How did it get outside? Who is the owner of this cat? As readers, we have no idea if he/she is a tamed house cat, or a stray wandering around looking for adventure to keep themselves occupied.

Luckily, there are some positives that stem from this piece of writing, children around the world can use the tale of Puffy and the Formidable Foe, to help build and strengthen their reading abilities. The author presents a good use of rhyming words and makes it easy to incorporate sight words for preschoolers and rising kindergarteners. Overall, their work and language is reminiscent of the work of Dr. Seuss. It’s memorable and will have children chanting the words for years to come!

The beauty of it all, is that the authors took the time to make a page about utilizing the book as an interactive learning tool! In my personal opinion, i can definitely see Puff giving our good friend, “Pete the Cat” a run for his money, with a little more work. The story is good, but can be great with a little more work and revision. It’s definitely off to great start!

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dphelps1113's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”