Official Review: Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Friends

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friends" by Bonita Treasure Murungi Arinaitwe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friends is an illustrated children’s book written by Bonita Treasure Murungi Arinaitwe. Princess Noella is a girl who lives in the Kingdom of Laminar. She meets a girl named Misty and they become close friends. When they are taken by robbers during a sleepover at the palace, the girls discover a secret – they are actually sisters, as Misty had been kidnapped as a baby and raised by another family.

I became very interested in reading this book after finding out it was written by a ten-year-old girl from Uganda. It is an impressive accomplishment for a child of that age to write such a heartwarming story that explores the universal themes of family, friendship, bullying, and love. The plot begins with Princess Noella and Misty as young girls and follows along as they mature. There are time jumps between some of the chapters, but this doesn’t feel awkward as each chapter focuses on a specific topic and period in their lives.

The artwork is beautiful and has a handcrafted look. However, it’s not clear if the author also did the illustrations as only the cover art is attributed to another person, Kato Richard. The depiction of the girls’ faces is not always consistent, even within the same chapter. Still, the pictures are a fun, colorful complement to the narrative and give good visual clues. This is important for children who are beginning to read independently.

There are two aspects of this book that I really appreciated. First, there is a glossary of words that might be advanced for children. These words are highlighted in red throughout the story so that children can easily look up the meaning in the glossary. This is a useful tool for kids to expand their vocabulary and have the definitions right at their fingertips. Another bonus is a list of questions for the reader to remember specific plot points and characters, as well as a fun drawing activity.

Unfortunately, I spotted approximately fifteen grammatical errors throughout the story. These errors include missing commas before or after dialogue, incorrect apostrophes, no space between words, and one instance of incorrect word usage. In addition, there is repetition within the paragraph about Misty’s mother allowing her to visit the palace. After stating that Misty’s mother allowed Misty to go visit Princess Noella in the palace, the next sentence says that Misty’s mother agreed.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It is an entertaining and educational read that is suitable for children ages 8-12. I look forward to reading other books by this young, talented author.

Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love to read books written by young people, even if they are not as polished as I would normally prefer. I was such a chicken at that age, I cannot imagine having the temerity to write AND PUBLISH my own book! :) Thanks for the review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The book was written by a ten-year-old girl from Uganda?? Impressive indeed. Sounds like a cute book with positive messages. And the glossary of words and the fun activity are an added bonus indeed. Too bad about the errors, though. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for taking the time to read my review! Kat Berg - I also love when children write their own stories. I was very impressed by this book, despite the errors.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gali - Thanks for the kind words. I really liked the glossary and the way the advanced words were highlighted in red, so that kids would know to look up the words in the glossary. This is a great way for kids to improve their vocabulary.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow impressive! The first time I developed reading as a lovable habit, when I was 12 years, and that was Harry potter. My best friend introduce me to the world of books and imagination so that I could escape my troubled reality and depression. A kid writing her book at age 10 is amazing, we cannot expect polish work but kids like that are always worth encouraging. If she continues this she will be a true proficient when she grows up. Great work! Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love seeing books written by children! It's great to encourage their creativity at such a young age. This one sounds fun with just a bit of proofreading. Thanks for the introduction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though this sounds like a good read, I'll get it with the secondary goal of supporting its young author. I too was writing stories at her age, but there was no Internet or self-publishing back then, so I'm glad to see someone taking advantage of the technology now available. I also admire her creativity in having highlighted words and a glossary, to boot. Like others have said, I'm totally willing to overlook the errors, though I would still encourage the writer to have it edited next time, if only by a teacher or someone.
kateayuban04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kateayuban04 »

Wow a young children wrote this story I'm so impressed 👏
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is one of the wonders of today's technology: even kids can self-publish! I am amazed at this young girl's talent and confidence. She lives up to her name, "Treasure."
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A 10 year old self publishing a book- what a rare feat!. I love the book already. A children's book by a child sounds a great read. Generally I am not a fan of children's books but because this one was authored by a child, I will definitely have to read it.
Kaveesh

Post by Kaveesh »

Usually read mostly books made for adult people but this one was kind of a good book to read because firstly it was authored by a child, which makes it more interesting as they can also narrate and that the story was good.
Achus52

Post by Achus52 »

I always used to love books on friendship . And that too written by a 10-year old girl. Interesting.
BM_2018

Post by BM_2018 »

Incredible talent for that age. My first attempt at writing was at the age of twelve but I never came close to that feat.
mercymwas97

Post by mercymwas97 »

Interesting...... I would say this Just awesome.....love this

Return to “Children's Books”