Official Review: SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Can...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Can...

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage" by Robert Martin with Keira Ely.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

SuperClara – A Young Girl’s Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage by Robert Martin and Keira Ely is an illustrated children’s book about Clara, a young girl diagnosed with brain cancer. Clara is five years old; she prides herself on being positive, even in situations that can be scary or uncertain. Clara’s diagnosis means she will have to have surgery, followed by radiation therapy and a strict medication regiment. After undergoing radiation therapy, Clara finds she’s gained a new power: she can talk with animals. She uses this power to help animals who find themselves in similar situations as those Clara experienced when she underwent her journey with cancer.

The author deals with a very serious topic in this book. Most notably, the author uses this book to tackle the scary feelings all people, especially children, would feel in Clara’s situation. For example, Clara deals with anxiety about what her friends will think of her new appearance when she loses her hair after undergoing radiation therapy. These feelings were especially well dealt with because the author did not try to sugarcoat Clara’s experience but focused on staying positive instead. Rather than fear what her friends may think, Clara uses her new appearance as an opportunity to help her young friends understand her journey with cancer.

The narrative does a wonderful job describing the many aspects of cancer treatment in a way which will be understood by the intended audience, and most importantly, the book answers the ‘why’ questions many children will ask. Clara finds answers to questions like why she has to take medicine, and why this happened to her. Instead of just accepting things for what they are, this book successfully conveys the truth behind this terrible disease. Further, this book is incredibly honest, like when Clara’s mother explains to her that no one knows why she got cancer; she just did. I was impressed with the author’s ability to speak to children through this book in a respectful and informative tone, despite their young ages.

The illustrations, created by Dave Drotleff, nicely complement the narrative with their vibrant, pastel colors and coherent message. Clara is portrayed as a normal young girl in the drawings, which helps hone in on the author’s message that children who are diagnosed with cancer are just like any other child and should not be treated any differently. Further, the illustrations are detailed enough to draw the eye, and each illustration correlates with the words on their corresponding page, adding to the narrative.

I was impressed with the author’s ability to handle such a difficult topic and create a storybook aimed to explain this scary disease to a young audience. There is nothing to dislike about the book, and the author’s delightful message will surely help young children better understand what it is like to live with cancer. I rate SuperClara 4 out of 4 stars. The writing in this book is juvenile and aimed towards a young audience; therefore, I would recommend this book be read aloud to children age three to seven. I further recommend that this book be read with an adult as children may have questions about Clara’s journey.

SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like a fabulous book. There should be more books like this out there as there are a lot of children facing situations like these (too many.) I'm glad that she can help kids going through this to understand a little bit better what is happening to them. Plus, Clara seems like a very brave little girl. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your insightful review. The book sounds like a nice way to handle the topic of cancer with young children. I like that it includes answering the common questions that kids might ask. The wonderful illustrations are a nice bonus for any children's book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This sounds like it is not only a very well-executed book but an important one. I love the idea that the therapy gives Clara superpowers; it is a brilliant way to incorporate positive thinking without debilitating the serious nature of her disease. Thank you for the review!
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

The book, only from its title, shows sensibility of writer to handle topics, as this one of cancer of a five year old girl Clara: Thus Clara starts a difficult journey, when she's diagnosed with cancer, and the worst is, she doesn't know the destination exactly from the beginnig: It could be a port finally, or definitely disaster and loss (death0, suffering from this terible disease. However, Clara, who knows now what she has, starts getting used to live with her problem, she wants to continue her life, as if this problem did not persist. She's incredibly brave and cool tempered, and most important, she shows to the other children of her age, that they should not treat her a patient, but a normal child like all others, and mainly a healthy child. Clara, undergoes very hard situation throughout her disease, but she's still ''thirsty'' of life, she wants to strive to get to the end of it, although it's very hard, but she also finds an opportunity to develop her spirit, and deploy her soul, achieving to be more mature than anyone else of her age, making her eevn feel an ''adult''. This means, that despite all difficulties and serious problem, she wants to stay in the ''field of battle'' and strive, with beavery and courage, she wants to live every moment, the way it's offered to her, and the whole case leads her finally to wisdom, that she would't have had in another case, and she becomes ''teacher'' of other children, in her way, when hope along with courage and dispair at the same time are drawn on her face. She makes the separation in her mind, that ''life is as long as you live, death follows life, and it's a fact as such. Health is health, and disease is disease. Clara becomes due this a unique personality of bravery and maturity, that follow her and will follow her to the end of her life, whenever this will be! Let's then imitate Clara!.. And of course, never quit out hope in such cases before God!!..
TYCOONSHOP
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TYCOONSHOP »

I am even more excited to start it.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It IS a serious topic, that I was really surprised that it was THE topic in the first place. A nice change of pace for a children's book, but I just shudder to think the realities that might have inspired the writing of this. Thanks for this review.
Cpt-605
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Cpt-605 »

Sound like a good book, can't wait to read it when I finish my other book.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

This sounds like a great read. A story full of passion and temperamental at the same time. I am sure this book will help children who are in difficult situations.
Maryem chem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maryem chem »

Carla shows up as a courageous girl in a world that is too narrow to build on appearances. The story shows the humane aspect of her story and the stages of her painful illness. Carla is portrayed through the stages of the story from a weak person to a persevering, patient and hopeful person.
kjrb808
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by kjrb808 »

The story was too serious and not suitable my granddaughter of 10
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Wow! This is such a serious topic to deal with. This book is a must-have for all homes. Really impressive I must say.

Return to “Children's Books”