Official Review: Salome and Gogo visit Soweto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Salome and Gogo visit Soweto

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of our fondest memories from our childhood were the moments we spent with a loved one. Our cherished memories were the times when we went to the park with our mothers. It was when we baked cookies with our fathers. It was even the precious moments that we spent with a grandparent. In Cora Groenewald’s Salome and Gogo Visit Soweto, young readers will get a taste of South African culture, see some great illustrations and experience the love between Salome and her Gogo.

In the book, we are introduced to young Salome who enjoys spending time with her “Gogo,” which is a South African term for grandmother. After hearing many tales about Gogo’s homeland, Soweto, the two go on an adventure to experience the city that is full of color and magic. During their trip, the two visit many places in the city like the Orlando Towers, they try new foods, and later, they dance the night away. It becomes a trip that neither one of the will ever forget.

The first thing that caught my eye in the book were the illustrations. The illustrations were wonderfully drawn and gave me a great visual of the culture of Soweto. It is through the illustrations that I was able to see what the Orlando Towers look like and I was able to see the colorful fashion that is worn in the city. The language of the book helped to provide readers with insight to Soweto as well. The author gave much detail about the sounds of the city and the taste of the different foods. The book was created in a way where young readers can experience the same things as Salome.

Even though there are many positives I can give about the book, there is a negative. The biggest flaw of the book is the fact that it lacks a glossary at the end. This book can be seen as educational since it is educating its readers on the city of Soweto. There were many interesting terms that were introduced such as, “Gogo,” “Vetkoek,” and a few others. The author explained what some terms meant, but there were some that readers will have to guess at. If a glossary were included that explained the different terms or even gave more insight into certain things in the story; it would have been the perfect book on the culture of Soweto.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I’m sure that many young readers will as well. The illustrations and the language of the book were both well created. The book made its readers feel like they were actually in Soweto, tasting the food and dancing to the music. The one negative that I have to say about the book is the lack of a glossary for all the different terms that were in the text. A glossary would also help to promote the book as an educational and enriching read. I would definitely recommend this book to any young reader as I feel it is beneficial to read books about other cultures.

Salome and Gogo visit Soweto
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Gogo is a cute name for a grandmother. I wonder what the term is for a grandfather.

I would also enjoy this book with its rich details about South Africa. A glossary would have added more teaching value for the young and old alike.

Thanks, Amagine, for this educative piece!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. This is such an interesting book. It will be great to read about Salome's memories and adventure with her grandmother.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Joshuamoses80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshuamoses80 »

Lovely review. This is an amazing book to read. It will b great to know more about Salome adventures.
Ihsan45

Post by Ihsan45 »

It's a lovely book for children to creating more adventures and to go forward in life.Every one must read it.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Your review is really nice. It flows smoothly and is so insightful. I love the book already. Will check it out. Thanks for the review.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Check out mine as well. I would love to hear your opinion about my writing. Thanks
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

The representation of African cultures is really rare these days. I may give this book a try. The lack of a glossary is a bummer, but I think I'll manage somehow. Thank you for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This looks like a book that I would most appreciate hard copy. Some books just need to be touched and have their physical pages turned. This is most especially true (for me) of books that have great illustrations. It is a plus that you get such an in-depth feel for the South African culture. It can be hard to do in a way that connects easily with people on the outside, but it is such a delight when it is well done.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I love these "tourism" type books! It's a nice way to introduce kids to other people, places, and cultures. Since expanding multicultural intelligence is all the rage in the educational sector right now, I feel that this book would fit nicely in the academe. Very informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy the idea of a book of memories and telling us about the city. It's too bad about the lack of glossary. That would be important in a book with foreign terms. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review as always. :) It's always a plus when a children's book is both entertaining and educational. I can see your point about the need for a glossary of foreign terms, since the words might be frustrating for kids (and adults, too!).
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ngo

Post by Ngo »

The book is really lovely though I didn't finish the relationship between Agogo and Salome sounds good. Interesting there.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Just reading your review, I felt I wanted to visit Soweto myself and tried its delicious food and dance to their music. I agree a glossary will enrich this book. However, it seems attracting enough not only to young readers but also adults so they can learn about a different culture. Thanks for this colorful review!

Return to “Children's Books”