Official Review: The Haunted Painting on the Wall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Haunted Painting on the Wall

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Haunted Painting on the Wall" by Devika A. Rosamund.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of my favorite ways to stretch myself culturally is by visiting a museum and taking in the paintings. I especially like the ones that look as if the person's eyes are following the viewer. So it was with great interest that I downloaded my copy of The Haunted Painting on the Wall by Devika A. Rosamund. In this tween tale, siblings Tracy and Sebastian visit their Great-Great-Aunt's castle, which is rumored to be haunted. They've also heard that there's a secret treasure in the castle and are interested in trying to find it. Teaming up with the housekeeper's children, Kevin and Beattie, they search for the treasure, but find more than they bargained for. Perhaps they should have taken heed of the saying, “Be careful what you wish for". How the picture plays a role in all of this is something you'll have to read the book to find out.

I thought this was a wonderful story that will hold its intended audience's attention from start to finish. While it's not chock-full of action, it does have enough suspenseful moments to keep younger readers on the edge of their seats. At the same time, however, it's not so scary that it will cause undue stress on its readers. I was especially captivated with the climax and thought it an outstanding way to finish off a great tale.

I was also well-pleased with the characterizations of all involved. The children were suitably child-like, not too perfect like some younger characters I've read about. There was sibling rivalry and squabbling, but also an underlying love that saved the day. They seemed just like my brother and me once upon a time. The adults were also well-written. Aunt Alice was older and somewhat maternal, but I was amused by her habit of taking out her hearing aids when she didn't want to hear things. Kevin and Beattie's mother, Marjorie, was also like most of the mothers I know, strict but loving with a tendency to repeat instructions. Tracy and Sebastian's parents only appear briefly in the book, but I also found them to be properly parental.

The scenery in The Haunted Painting on the Wall was described well, such that I had no problems picturing the castle and its grounds. There were also black-and-white drawings scattered throughout the book – maybe once midway through every other chapter or so – that helped me to further sink into the book's world. I thought the use of illustrations was perfect for this age-group - not as many as for younger children, but not completely picture-less either.

The one gripe I have about this tome was the author's comma usage; the punctuation marks tended to be either missing or overused. Devika is from Bristol, though, so it's possibly just the way things are done in England. One example sentence that I badly wanted to edit was, "“I think if there really was a secret chamber with hidden treasure then somebody would have found it, by now, after all these years,” said her father." There was also one inconsistency. Even though their Great-Great-Aunt had taken her aforementioned hearing aids out for the night, the author wrote that the children "tiptoed along the corridor so as not to awaken Aunt Alice". There were no misspellings or syntax errors, but as much as I'd like to give the author the benefit of the doubt and not take off a point for editing, I have to. Additionally, even though I noticed these [possible] missteps, they didn't take away from my overall reading enjoyment. I also liked her English writing insofar as actual word usage. For example, she referred to hues as "colours" and referenced flashlights as "torches", which are entirely different items in America.

Overall, I thought The Haunted Painting on the Wall was a great ride, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for tweens (ages 9-12, per Amazon) as well as for adults who like tamer tales of suspense.

The Haunted Painting on the Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Besides the editing issues, this sounds like an interesting book. I like the way you describe the interaction between the characters.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a fun book. I enjoy a good, light read every once in a while. This sounds like something even adults can enjoy. I love the idea of a haunted painting. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think J.K. Rowling took away the fright from paintings and pictures. Now, non-moving characters in those works of art seem boring. LOL!

Nonetheless, thanks for the tame adventure, MsTri!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The book sounds interesting, a painting doing all the action! Haaaaa that's something to wonder about. The review was detailed and effective, it made me want to look at this book. The reminiscence of the young sibling too reminded me of my life with my brother. Thank you, good review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Hmm, haunted book. I like this crispy story and your review is great. Thanks for the review. Feel free to check my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
mommynorthrop08
Currently Reading: Beast house
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by mommynorthrop08 »

You make a great review. Love reading to my kids and you sold this one. Cant wait to read it to them.
Wisemen06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wisemen06 »

This is the title that when you tell to a child like my cousin gives them feel of scary so they will be curious about that great job for the author and great review for "Ms. tri" I liked it very much
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sems to be a perfect haunted story for children. Thanks for this lovely review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! This book sounds like a winner with great characters, an interesting plot, and well-defined setting. Too bad about the errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like your use of the term "tween tale." Did you pick that up from someone else or make that up on your own? It seems to describe this book perfectly!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

What a spooky story! I like the theme and that the author includes illustrations. This sounds like an entertaining book for kids.

Return to “Children's Books”