Official Review: The Day Momma Made Me Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: The Day Momma Made Me Dance

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day Momma Made Me Dance" by Patrice Shavone Brown.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The day Momma Made Me Dance is a short children’s book by Patrice Shavone Brown that is marketed on Amazon towards ages 1 – 14 (or grade level P – 7). The book is partially geared towards children but also contains a “how-to” or discussion piece for parents. This story focuses on child disciple and aims to differentiate between discipline and abuse. I am writing this review as honestly as possible without letting my personal views on disciplinary methods cloud my vision.

The first parts of the book include dedication, foreword, preface, and “about the author” sections. Normally in a review, I wouldn’t even mention these, but in this case, they bring both context and meaning to the rest of the book. The book is dedicated to the author’s late mother, who raised Patrice the same way she is raising her children, as a single parent. The forward is a piece of text written by the author’s young son essentially saying he is proud of what she has written. I think this was placed in the book to show solidarity with her children despite the content. Finally, the preface and the “about the author” sections state a bit further who this book is for, what influenced the writing of the book, and that the purpose is to “get you to recognize the difference between abuse and discipline.” This portion is seemingly written for the parent who will be reading the book to their children.

The middle section of the book is geared towards younger children. There are alternating pages of short text and full pages of images describing that text. The story is about a young girl who isn’t following the rules and who pushes her mother to the point where she needs to discipline her. After the punishment (which takes place with a belt and makes the girl cry, run, dance, and prance) is concluded, the little girl states how she has now learned the rules and will presumably adhere to them from now on.

Finally, there is another section at the end geared towards the parents which states what discipline is and delineates it from abuse (emotional, physical, and sexual) and neglect. It ends with a series of questions a parent can ask their children to foster discussions about discipline and abuse.

There are a few things about the book that I enjoyed. I think, in general, the intent behind this book is noble. Regardless of one's views on disciplinary methods, a book that teaches you that breaking the rules will result in consequences, can be beneficial. What I appreciated the most about the book, however, were the images. The characters were extremely well illustrated. The cheeky girl breaking the rules in these images made me chuckle several times throughout the story. With great illustrations like this, it is easy for children to relate to the characters and consequently relate to the message within the book.

There are several things I disliked about this book. First, there were many grammatical errors throughout the book. These were found both in the section geared towards the children and that towards the parents. Not only were they grammatically incorrect, but many of the sentences were extremely awkward to read. Second, as a parent that often reads to young children, the mixed audience goal of the author (messages to the parents and a story for the children) fell short. If I am sitting down to read to my kids, I will likely will skip all the foreword/afterword material as it is of little interest to them and wouldn’t capture their attention. The only way this would work is if the parent read it on their own and only ever read the middle portion to the children. Finally, and what I disliked the most about this book, was that is wasn’t very clear in its own message of drawing the line between discipline and abuse. In one sentence it states, “when you punish your children it is okay to use talk, timeout in a corner and even a belt or switch.” Two pages later the author states that “abuse is when children are beaten with cords, sticks, burned, punched and treated inhumanely.” I think the line between the two is poorly drawn by the author and by her own definitions, using a switch or a belt on a child constitutes abuse (again, by her own definition).

Since the book lacked professional editing, contradicted itself, and had an awkward presentation, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. To be clear, this rating was made entirely with the aim/presentation of the book in mind and not all in conjunction with my personal opinions on physical discipline. I didn’t give this book only one star as I genuinely believe that its message, that actions bear consequences, is a good one for young children to have in a literary form. If you are a firm believer in discipline and are looking for kid’s books, this may be for you. If you are 100% against discipline that manifests itself in a physical form, you should probably steer clear of this story.

The Day Momma Made Me Dance
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What constitutes as instilling discipline varies greatly from one society to the next. Although the author might have had good intentions, this book will not appeal to a wide audience.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's really too bad about all the grammatical errors. I think they are even more egregious when in a children's book. There is a fine line between abuse and discipline. It seems to vary based on who you talk to. Some people say even spanking your child is abuse. If you are going to tell parents what exactly constitutes abuse, you need to be careful... Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I am a firm believer of discipline and also thankful for my parents for this exposure (belt, caning, deprived from playing time with friends) otherwise I will end up as a spoilt brat. Although I knew punishments are different from my culture to another cultures but 1 thing for sure: every child must be exposed that in every rule breaking comes punishment. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Too bad, there was lack of clarity with the theme and visible grammatical errors. I hope there will still be kids and parents that will enjoy the book. Thanks for the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I agree children must be taught that their actions bring consequences. Nevertheless, how to discipline a child varies depending on several things: culture, the kid's personality, parents' beliefs, the mischief and so on. Thanks for trying to put your personal views away when writing this review, Scerakor!
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

I don't think I could bring myself to read a book that lists belts as an appropriate form of discipline. Thanks for making me aware of that detail.
Lilybeth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lilybeth »

I believed in discipline. I do believed discipline is different from punishment. Discipline is when we show an example in deed, actions, in our ways, characters and etc. in front of the child. Children are a great imitator they will follow our actions and everything we do. I think that is discipline. For me punishment is when we apply by using our hands to bit or spank the child, using belt and etc. I think to punished a child is not discipline. That's my personal view on discipline and punishment. Thank you for the reviews for it brings clarity and understanding on the story about.

Return to “Children's Books”