Official Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Izesicle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you kitten me?
A story about a Siberian kitty with a snoopy cat-titude?
Paw-lease sign me up!

Fortunately, or should I say fur-tunately, Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi does not have terrible cat puns. Illustrated by Jorge Valle, the book prefers to delight the readers with a lively story about a cat detective. It is written for children and animal lovers.

Being the fifth book in the Inca Book Series, Diary of a Snoopy Cat begins with a list of the main characters in the series, along with a short description to jog the memory of those who have read the previous books or catch up those who haven't. Inca's family includes Cara, a vain Siamese kitty; Fromage, a tabby who likes cheese; Charlotte, a dwarf Roborovski hamster; and their humans Missy and Aunt Florence.

While some parts of the book refer to the characters' adventures in the previous books, it can be read by itself. Written from the point of view of Inca, the lead character who is a Siberian cat, the book is presented as Inca's diary which counts down to Christmas. There are two main stories. Terrance, their Golden Retriever friend, leaves for the Himalayas with his human Solo, a detective. They hope to locate Raoul, the husband of Señora Conchita whom they helped locate a necklace in a prevous case, and Polo's human. Lance is tasked to take care of Solo's other pet, Monk, a Blue Russian cat but Lance is unusually interested in some members of the animal detective group. Polo, a Pekinese dog, refers to the group the case of Boss, a Rottweiler, whose favorite human, Ned, is in danger of being turned out of their house. Ned had taken care of Mr. Finchley and Boss for years and the house was willed to Ned. However, upon Mr. Finchley's death, his nephew Cyril plans to kick out Ned from the house and keep Boss. Boss pleads with the Inca and Co. detective agency to help find the will. What follows is an action-packed adventure story with a heart-pounding chase.

My favorite parts of the book were the illustrations and the sound effects. The author has definitely captured the behavior of cats, dogs and hamsters perfectly and presented the characters with their unique personalities. I liked that the lead character has hubris enough to admit that she wanted to solve the mystery by herself. Her opinions and feelings definitely lend authenticity to the diary format. Unfortunately, there were several typos and sentences that lacked a comma. There was inconsistency in referring to the animals' relationships with the humans as mom or dad but also using the terms owned and humanoid. I also didn't like that there were characters that were introduced but did not really feature in the story. I had to note down four household family trees to keep track of the characters, their breed and species. Consequently, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Nevertheless, the strengths of the book overcome its weaknesses. I would definitely recommend this book to children, the young at heart, animal lovers, and fans of detective stories. There are references to Christmas traditions of family togetherness, yet the book is not overly religious. Be warned of instances of possible peril to animals as a result of their shenanigans.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds funny 😁 ! Book that I would not mind recommending to my younger cousins.
Thank you for the heads up information!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

My son loves animals and I think he would enjoy this book. Thank you for the well written review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like the part about Fromage having his own recipe of Blue Cheese cake. I chuckled when I was reading about Fromage shares this recipe to Inca, Cara, and Monk. Thank you for your detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

For me, it is impossible not to love furry animals. I like that despite being the fifth in a series, this story can be read on it's own.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kpullen0424
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Kpullen0424 »

The book sounds like a great one to give my daughter age 9 to read. Thank you :D
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book sounds good and the review is also good.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 06:04 Sounds funny 😁 ! Book that I would not mind recommending to my younger cousins.
Thank you for the heads up information!
Oh, it was definitely a fun read! I could easily imagine the scenes happening in a movie or tv show. If you read this book to children, practice different cat and dog voices :)
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 11:02 My son loves animals and I think he would enjoy this book. Thank you for the well written review.
oh, he definitely will! I think he will like the different personalities and will choose a favorite.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 04:57 For me, it is impossible not to love furry animals. I like that despite being the fifth in a series, this story can be read on it's own.
your love for animals shows in your profile picture here :). Furry animals are so huggable.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Kpullen0424 wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 11:25 The book sounds like a great one to give my daughter age 9 to read. Thank you :D
It's definitely worth the purchase. I recommend reading to her in different animal voices and you'll both have fun sounding out the onomatopeias. :)
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 11:37 The book sounds good and the review is also good.
Thank you, Sarah. I love the quote in your signature.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 21:05 I like the part about Fromage having his own recipe of Blue Cheese cake. I chuckled when I was reading about Fromage shares this recipe to Inca, Cara, and Monk. Thank you for your detailed review.
LOL, yeah that was a riot! I also love the other bit about him smuggling cheese and hiding it then was found out.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I loved your puns. They were hilarious! I totally agree with your rating, that's exactly the score I gave to this book too. Good review!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Thanks for the review. I will enjoy reading this one since this is a free book. I love animals as well as their story of adventures. I want to read some other time. You have a nice review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Children's Books”