Review by jackod -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Currently Reading: Lies of Silence
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Review by jackod -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by jackod » 09 Dec 2017, 13:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley's picture book, "Sigfried's Smelly Socks!" is a lot of fun. This book can be very entertaining, for both kids and their parents. It is very relatable to children, with most of them having experienced foul smelling things. The use of similes will definitely make them chuckle. The book is very cute, but also gross at the same time.

The author, Len Foley, has a fun style of writing, making it easy for kids to read, while also being enjoyable. It is very handy for a quick read before bed, or during a car ride, or while in a waiting room. There is a very nice flow to the book, with the rhyming makes it even more fun to read.

The story is quite funny, overall. Exploring the world of the smells was an adventure. The book follows Sigfried, the boy who owns the book, explaining the smell of everything in it. He realizes that everything has a unique smell, even though that smell might not be the most pleasant. Sigfried has done a lot more to it than just not read it with clean hands. He tells us how each stain got on each page. Sometimes there is more than just a stain, like peanut butter or bits of the pizza still there. His dog contributed to a yellow stain, his brother Sherman another, and his baby sister even peed on it.

Once you start this book you definitely will be laughing out loud. Descriptions of smells can be funnier than you would think! You may even wrinkle your nose at the descriptions of what is causing a foul odour, as it is quite descriptive.

It is beautifully illustrated. The story book has a mix of cartoony imagery and real photo imagery. This makes it very fun to look at while reading, as it allows you to see all the rotten items being described by Sigfried. It is a great story for the family to read together, as the jokes can be laughed at by readers of all ages. This story is perfect for kids who like stories about gross things like the foul smells described in the book. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I would highly recommend it to anyone with small children. Hopefully Len Foley will write more picture books in the future, as I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to end.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jackod's review? Post a comment saying so!

2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by BoyLazy » 14 Dec 2017, 03:58

I hope he does more similar work in future as well. I too read this book and really had a good laugh.
Please check out my review of this book and share your comments.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: The Pardon
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Rapidan by Jeff Wallace

Post by kdstrack » 23 Feb 2018, 08:03

How true - the book is cute and gross as the same time. It's good that it had you laughing out loud. Seems like you understood the author's humor. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”