Review by Yashasvi -- Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Yashasvi
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashasvi.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Review by Yashasvi -- Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by Yashasvi » 06 Dec 2017, 03:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is one hilarious children's book! I loved it from the first page. It is basically about various bad smells that Seigfried can smell in his room. It starts off with Seigfried talking about why this book is so stinky. It is because Seigfried has spilled food on it, his dog has peed on it, his brother has wiped his nose with it and his baby sister has even wiped her stinky bottom with it.

But all these stinks in his book are nothing compared to the stink of smelly socks that he has in his room. There are socks smelling of rotten cabbage and socks stinking of toilet seats. There are socks which smell like skunk feet and ...you get the idea.

It is a delightfully stinky book. Bad smells are something which we don't talk about to our kids. But kids love to explore things which we adults tend to avoid. This is one book which you can read with your toddler and share a ton of laughs with as you read along.

This is one delightfully funny book. It is not just about the bad smells. The book is actually one long rhyming poem. So as you read along with your kids, the rhyming will keep them turning the pages and keep them engaged and interested in reading further. You can even have a sing along with your child with this book.

I also liked the fact that the author has mixed old and new words very well in this book. So you have words like ketchup, diaper, pizza, bubbles etc which a 3-7 year old kid will definitely know. On the other hand, you also have words like whiff, awful, waffle, trouble etc which the kids can learn as they read along.

Illustrations are minimalistic but very colorful and engaging. The book achieves a very good balance between being text heavy and being too graphic. A very text heavy book is going to bore the kid while an overly picture heavy book may be engaging to the kid but does not help with building any vocabulary. This book manages to balance things out very well.

One issue that I found with this book is that in .mobi format, I was not able to open it with any of the android mobi readers. I could only open it with a Android Amazon Kindle app. Even this required a few extra steps to make sure it opened correctly. If the book is going to be sold on Amazon, why not stick to the Kindle format?

All in all, a very very engaging read for kids in the 3-7 year age group. I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yashasvi's review? Post a comment saying so!

BoyLazy
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy » 14 Dec 2017, 04:02

I am old but still a child by heart. I too read this book and really had a good laugh.
Please check out my review of this book and share your comments.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52548
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Pardon
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by kdstrack » 23 Feb 2018, 07:56

Great point about how the author mixes common words the child will be familiar with and new words to expand their vocabulary. Glad you enjoyed the book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”