Official Review: Sneaky The Hairy Mountain Monster

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Sneaky The Hairy Mountain Monster

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sneaky The Hairy Mountain Monster" by Norma Fleagane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The grandparents of five year old Blake James live in a town that is surrounded by mountains and thick woods. Within those spooky woods, lives a monster that the townsfolk have named Sneaky. Very few men have actually seen this monster. Those that have, describe Sneaky as green and hairy with three eyes. When the monster growls, fire shoots out of his eyes and mouth. It is Christmas time in this mountainous town, and the people have been complaining of their Christmas decorations going missing. All signs point to Sneaky as the culprit, and Grandpa has decided to hunt him down. Young Blake wants to go along with his grandfather. Against the wishes of his grandmother, Blake is allowed to go as long as he minds what Grandpa says. What will they find when they locate the monster’s home, and what will they do with Sneaky?

Sneaky: The Hairy Mountain Monster is a children’s book written by Norma Fleagane and published by Christian Faith Publishing, Inc. Told from the 3rd person perspective, this book is about a town that is being tormented by a monster, and what the townsfolk finally decide to do about it. Blake and his grandfather set out to capture Sneaky, but instead learn a valuable life lesson.

This is a quick 31 page read that is just right for parents and other caregivers to read with their children. The problem set out in the story is clear, as is the journey towards a solution. The moral of the story is expressed well, and gives opportunity to discuss prejudice and the misjudging of others without coming on too strong or overbearing. I came across no spelling or grammatical errors in my reading.

The book is illustrated by Jasmine Mills, and the scenes are depicted very well and add nicely to the story. The drawings are realistic, with appropriate facial expressions to show the emotions and feelings of the characters. The woods are appropriately spooky and dark in appearance. The only issue I really had was that the dark forest is used as a sort of backdrop for the text. This might make it a little difficult for a younger reader, since the dark background makes it a little harder to read the words. There is a sufficient amount of pictures to keep the attention of young children, but the story itself is long enough for me to suggest it be read aloud by older children or adults.

The themes I notice in the story are bravery, pride, and courage; while the moral touches on tolerance, understanding, and acceptance. These are timeless lessons, and even adults will benefit from a reminder to have an open mind.

If I could give this book 3.5 stars, I would. But, since I cannot, I give this book a strong 3 out of 4 stars, due to the difficulty in reading the text against the dark background. The spooky woods coincide with the story so well, but unfortunately don’t provide the best of backgrounds for the words. I think this story can be enjoyed by both children and adults, and may even foster a nice family discussion afterwards.

Sneaky The Hairy Mountain Monster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm intrigued! Who is sneaky and why is he stealing the Christmas decorations? It's too bad about the text being difficult to read, but all in all, it sounds like a really fun story! Definitely worth picking up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a bit of a Grinch with a difference! It must be an enjoyable tale with morals about bravery and prejudice. Shame about the dark background because I'm sure the spooky woods will really fire kids' imaginations. Great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sneaky is the Grinch! *lmao!* :mrgreen2: It just so happens that The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is my favorite Christmas tale, and this sounds a lot like it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Thanks for the review!
Msmith0704
Currently Reading: The Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmith0704.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Msmith0704 »

Thank you for the great review. I'm looking forward to reading this book and sharing it with my grandchildren.
Francis Ernest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Francis Ernest »

well am impressed,but who is this monster? and why is he disturbing this people? and why must the little boy want to go with is grandpa to such a dangerous journey?what if something bigger than them comes out?. This book is default to understand but it is so fun to me. Great review very perfect.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thanks for the great review! I love kid's books that are more than just a story. I learn things from every book I read, and I think children deserve to come away with something to think about.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I'm always on the lookout for a good children's book to read to my daughters. I especially like ones that teach them a lesson, and it sounds like this one does just that. I'm curious to read it now and see what the real deal is with this monster. Thank you for the excellent review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could see where you're coming from when you've mentioned the design element. It runs in consonance with the book's title and the theme, and yet it may be a bit too scary for younger readers. It's good that this book is insightful and educational enough for them, though. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow! A perfect tale for children. A valid point about the dark backdrop, though. Thanks for your valuable review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Well, illustrations can both add and take way from a story. Your point about the dark backdrop is justified.

Thank you for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds intriguing. I already want to find out more about Sneaky! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Young readers or adults, we could all use some reminding that tolerance, acceptance, and understanding are important. I do wonder if the book has a religious message because you mentioned it's published by Christian Faith Publishing, Inc.
I hope they fix the background problem because it seems like a nice Christmas story. Thank you!

Return to “Children's Books”