Official Review: The Adventures of Finley and Cisco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Adventures of Finley and Cisco

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Finley and Cisco" by Lisa Ozalis-Graham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Finley and Cisco by Lisa Ozalis-Graham is a children’s picture book about a fish named Finley who moves from Lake Erie to a new school in Lake Superior. Finley is different from other fish because of an accident he had with a fishing hook when he was little. At first, many of Finley’s new classmates don’t want to talk to Finley because he is different, but Cisco doesn’t feel the same way and quickly befriends Finley. The two meet additional fish at the school and learn about how sometimes feelings can be hurt even if that wasn’t the intention. This book is relatively short at only twelve pages long and includes full page illustrations opposite the text on each page.

It can be difficult to stand out in the children’s picture book genre because there are only so many themes to write about for a young audience; however, it is still possible to create a distinct writing style. Unfortunately, at times, this book feels contrived; it even begins with the cliché words, ‘once upon a time.’ Though this book starts out relatively unimagined, it picks up steam as the story progresses and begins to take a more unique path. The author even includes some factual information about the Great Lakes, which boosted my overall opinion of the book.

Moreover, the illustrations in The Adventures of Finley and Cisco are interesting to look at, and the colors are bright and appealing, yet they stay true to the underwater setting of the book. I enjoyed that the illustrations capture some of the emotions of the characters with detailed facial expressions that make the story easily decipherable. For example, it will be relatively effortless for children to understand that Camie, another fish, feels sad when she is made fun of, based on the expression on her face.

The message in the story is simple and will be relatable for the intended audience. Themes of friendship, bullying, accepting differences, moving to a new school, and learning to talk about your feelings are all touched upon in this children’s book. Although these topics are nothing new for the children’s genre, the author adds a unique spin to her story by adding some cute acronyms to hone in on points of empathy and friendship. Overall, the main message comes across clearly in the book and is enhanced by the illustrations.

The illustrations, story and message of this picture book are all well executed and enjoyable to read; however, I had some minor issues with the writing. There were aspects of the writing that didn’t feel unique or imaginative, and I found some instances of run-on sentences. The writing leads me to take away one star, giving The Adventures of Finley and Cisco a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to be read aloud to children aged three to seven, and children towards the older end of that range will likely be able to read the story by themselves.

The Adventures of Finley and Cisco
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems like this is a story that has been done before. Nevertheless, it does look cute. I love the cover! Thanks for the cute book. Since I don't have kids, I think I'll skip this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review, I think I'll read this to the kiddos I watch. They will love the illustrations.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I think the themes involve in this story never get old-fashioned. Also, in my experience, kids love when they can read or if someone reads to them and they can see the illustrations right there. So it's a positive remark that the author used full page illustrations opposite the text throughout the book. Too bad about the issues with the writing. They need to be polished. Thanks for the review!
Patrick P
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Patrick P »

Having seen the review here above, It's like I got almost all the story. So I did not want to read the book. But on the contrary, I did appreciate the cover design; it displays a real picture of the main character even before you open the book I guess.
David Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by David Lewis »

From the review,I agree that the book is awesome for kids especially those who have to go through hard times either in school or in their neighborhood.I recommend it for the kids as I did to my nephews and nieces.It's a nice book.
Preciousogoo

Post by Preciousogoo »

I think this book is so encouraging, we must not judge so fast and must accept people the way they are
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this book covers themes of friendship and love. The fact that it begins with "Once upon a time " is surprising though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I actually like "Once upon a time." Those words bring me back to my days of innocence, LOL!

Fish are child-friendly (Finding Nemo reinforced that), so I believe kids will have fun with this book. Too bad that there are grammar issues. Children's books should be flawless in that aspect. Period.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

The love the theme of acceptance here! There's definitely not of enough exposure for children (and some adults sometimes). It's great that the illustrations were attractive as that's important in children's works, too. Too bad about the writing, but I'm glad that it was still enjoyable!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Though I will probably pass on the book, I must say this is one of the best reviews I've read in a while. Great job!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The story does seem a little too...typical, but I like the drawings, so I might give this a shot based on that. Thanks for the review.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I like to read children's books but since the book is too short I think that I will skip it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Denisa Agasi1

Post by Denisa Agasi1 »

is a very attractive book ..... I like very much ....
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting, well written review! The "new kid" premise is not too original, but it's a concept that is very relatable. Honestly, the run-on sentences would bother me since it doesn't set a good example for children who are learning the proper way to write a sentence.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Children's Books”