Official Review: Sally Gets a Curly Horse by Ron Gale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Sally Gets a Curly Horse by Ron Gale

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sally Gets a Curly Horse" by Ron Gale.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sally Gets a Curly Horse is a 24-page children’s book written and illustrated by Ron Gale. Written with a Western theme, the story revolves around ten-year-old Sally and the horses that she dreams of having. Despite Sally’s love for horses, she is unfortunately highly allergic to them and has always thought she could never own one of her one. While visiting a rodeo with her family, Sally sees a rider with a curly haired horse, which the rider explained as being hypoallergenic. After learning that she has no negative reaction from the curly horse, Sally convinces her mother and father to get her a curly haired horse of her own.

The story is written in an easy to follow manner, with details included that children appreciate. The author’s writing style is both casual and entertaining, and written with enough action to keep children entertained, despite not being the traditional rhyming stories found in children’s books. The lessons that can be found within the story could teach responsibility, as shown by how Sally cares for her horse and makes sure he has all he needs.

In addition to the story line, Sally Gets a Curly Horse also includes adorable hand-drawn pictures that are full of imagination and precision. Featuring several different horses, I can imagine it would be fun for children to go back after reading and choose their favorite horse.

One complaint I have for the story is the author’s use of the word “tho” rather than “though.” Used a few times throughout the story, I felt myself cringing at the shortening, especially for a children’s book. I could easily see how this could create a reading barrier for children, as they could possibly think this is the correct way to spell and attempt to use the shortened version of the word in their writing.

From my reading, I can say that this story could be read independently from around ages 7 to 10, as there is some complex thinking involved, and a few words that could take some serious sounding out. I would easily recommend Sally Gets a Curly Horse to children who enjoy reading books about a farm or ranch, and also recommend their parents to read with them! This story would also be a great read for children who do suffer from allergic reactions. Due to the minor complaint I had for the story, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and will happily read it again with my child.

Sally Gets a Curly Horse
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like the responsibility lesson behind this story and I will definitely read this to my niece. Thank you for your review
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This is a really good review, and I can imagine many horse-mad children (I know I shouldn't say it, but perhaps especially girls) would respond to it. I was such a child (still love them, though I would now call myself a cat person) and think I would also have been glad to find a book that wasn't just fixated on gymkhanas, pony club, etc, as sometimes tends to be the case here in the UK.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Kourtney Bradley

I thought the same!
Thank you for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My question is, is there really a curly haired horse that is hypoallergenic? I've never actually heard of it. If so, that's really cool! Thanks for sharing the book with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that there are different kinds of horses featured in the book. This peeked my interest. Thank you for the detailed review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kourtney Bradley

Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Kourtney Bradley

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 10:43 My question is, is there really a curly haired horse that is hypoallergenic? I've never actually heard of it. If so, that's really cool! Thanks for sharing the book with us.
Yes! I looked it up! Pretty neat, but I've never seen a curly haired one, and it makes me wonder why its the curly haired ones that are hypoallergenic.
–Vera Nazarian
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

It sort of makes sense as people with dog allergies can often keep poodles, which are curly haired.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

klbradley wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 00:03
kandscreeley wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 10:43 My question is, is there really a curly haired horse that is hypoallergenic? I've never actually heard of it. If so, that's really cool! Thanks for sharing the book with us.
Yes! I looked it up! Pretty neat, but I've never seen a curly haired one, and it makes me wonder why its the curly haired ones that are hypoallergenic.
That is really interesting. I too wonder why it's hypoallergenic. I mean, those hairless cats are considered hypoallergenic, but I understand why that is... :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 03:39 It sort of makes sense as people with dog allergies can often keep poodles, which are curly haired.
I hadn't thought of that!
–Vera Nazarian
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Sounds like fun, alTHO (haha) I agree that the editor and/or author of the book should be more strict with the spelling, considering the intended audience of the book.
Kourtney Bradley

Agreed!
–Vera Nazarian
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Solid review. I agree, I don't like "tho" replacing "though" either. This sounds like an interesting story for kids who feel limited due to their allergies.
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Children's Books”