Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mcranm01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by Mcranm01 »

I found this book to be quite funny and could imagine young readers and parents enjoying the easy rhyming sentences. I agree with the review that some of the words may need explained. However, that isn't a negative as it will enhance parent child communications.
Dawn_Sooy
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawn-sooy.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Dawn_Sooy »

I thought it was a fun book, with the rhyming words and illustrations. I had to laugh when the dog peed on the book. This back takes me back when my kids were little and each one had that certain book that got into trouble with stains and such--jelly smears, food smears (maybe not a banana, but toast with butter.) The author has written a book that will be a favorite among many children.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I love this book. My nieces adore the "eew" factor and silliness of it
JWalker824

Post by JWalker824 »

Just read the book Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley. This book is geared towards children ages 3-7.
After reading, I definitely think any boy in that age group would love it!! I have a 6 year old boy who is all about anything gross and smelly. It would be a book that I could read to him or her could read to himself. The parts I liked the most was about the sister Piper and her diaper fiasco. My son would enjoy the pile of dirty socks to read about since I constantly find them in his room and he thinks that's funny. I will definitely be giving him this one to read and laugh about
jollysue
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jollysue »

I read the book. Your review prepared me for what was to come. I agree that some parents and children could have fun with this. I think it could be used to help young children explore smells and a game could be made with it. I also think this is primarily a book boys will enjoy more readily that most girls.

I thought it was a potentially useful book to share with some children. For myself, it is not one I got hysterical about. I saw the punch line coming a few pages ahead.

A guideline for readers might be the children's nursery rhyme:
What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails
That's what little boys are made of

What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And everything nice [or "all things nice"]
That's what little girls are made of[1]
Ruadhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruadhan.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ruadhan »

I agree with the reviewer that reading about gross stuff isn't for everyone -- thanks for the warning! That said, I thought the illustrations were fun and the design clear, and if the kids laugh, that's exactly what a book like this is for. I think the author has a winner here!
Reb63OBC
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reb63obc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Reb63OBC »

I enjoyed reading the sample of Sigfried's Smelly Socks. It gave me the giggles because I can relate. I'm always getting stuff on pages of the books I read like spaghetti or peanut butter. I believe children will get a kick out of this book too. :D
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Sounds like a book that would be fun for young children, especially boys, since they’re more likely to be entertained by gross things in my experience.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

From your review, I am sure I will have a laugh-out-loud moment with this book while reading it to my young one. I like the thought of the full page illustrations too!
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

Sigfried's smelly socks is a book filled with unique drawing, bright colors and good illustrations.
It's especially good for children between the ages of 3-7.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I agree with you, some people don't find those kind of smelly things funny. Sounds like it would be a really cute book for kids .
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I find this book is cute although it discusses about different types of stinky smells. This will be a funny read whilst at the same time can be as an exposure to the young readers to get rid of these stinky smells at all cost.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

This book is an easy read, very fun and the illustrations are so on point. I don't see how one can get disguisted by the illustrations. I hope children will love this book as much as I did!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

"Sigfried’s Smelly Socks (spoilers)!" by Len Foley is truly a quirky and humorous book for childhood ages to read and a great tool to introduce the senses. The sample copy I read shared more than enough detail to enticed me to want to read on, as well as smell the scents, Or maybe it was "the peanut butter and jelly chunks I let dribble off my bread".
Stanzz
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Stanzz »

I flipped through the book, and I definitely agree it's not for everyone. It was a little gross for my taste but I can see some kids really loving this one.

Return to “Children's Books”