Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sapadu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sapadu.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by Sapadu »

This review is thorough and accurate -- after reading the book, and then reading the review, most of the points hit true. The only thing that I might disagree with is just a matter of opinion on the illustrations -- I found them to be a little more intended to appeal to very young readers, in the toddler age range and not the 'beginning to read' category, which leads me to think this book is likely meant to be read out-loud to children by their parents. But that might just be a difference of opinion.

I especially agree with the note about parents needing a strong tolerance for disgusting subject matter -- my personal experience with children leads me to believe that any young readers will likely be repeating and giggling at the line about 'Skunk farts' for weeks, and any parents listening to that will likely be well-benefited by a strong constitution.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I love your comment on the positioning of the words on the page. It didn't occur to me to take note of how well or poorly the words read from within the illustrations. I too loved the illustrator's mix of photo-realism and hand-drawn art.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Small boys just love gross stuff like this - it's a shame my two are a bit too old for it now!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

If it is true that a picture tells a thousand words, then the twenty-six pages of this book provide 26,000 words and that equates to 104 pages at 250 words per page. That is a reasonable enough length for a children's book. For me, however, a single picture is much preferred to a thousand words. So, I will read the book at status quo,
no more post-production alteration required. The art rendering is naive and fresh, so refreshing and without guile. Thanks for your splendid review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Mailu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailu.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Mailu »

This book sounds like a funny read. However, since I'm not always interested in children genres I would skip this one or preserve it for my siblings. Thanks for the great review!
Sue_K
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sue_K »

This is a book that would appeal to little boys who like truly gross stuff. It's funny in a boys kind of way but girls would find it gross.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I know my sons would have loved this when they were in the age range the book is geared toward. The loved the Walter The Farting Dog books. Boys (most) are so gross anyway. lol They think all manner of gross is funny. This book definitely sounds like a hit. I was hoping the illustrations inside the book would be as great as the amazing cover. It certainly sounds like they are. Thanks for your great review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Since I am not interested in children's books nor I have kids/younger relatives, I will not be reading this one. Nonetheless, thank you for the insightful review.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I found the sample to be gross-funny. I think my kids would love this book, especially my son who seems to love grossing me out as much as he can.
bullfly7
Bookshelf Size: 1939
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bullfly7 »

Thank you for the thorough review. My son, age 6, would probably love this book. He loves all things weird and smelly so this is perfect to work on his reading.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

There are times I wish I were a child of six again. Old enough to learn how to appreciate things and young enough to be innocent of any wrongdoings. This books makes me laugh and feel like a young boy again. I'll be sure to read this to my one and only grandchild when she turns three! :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds really funny, and I wish I had a kid to read it with right now. I have no qualms against reading a kid's book by myself, but I think I'll still wait until I have my own kids so I can enjoy it with them. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Erik1991
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erik1991 »

:techie-reference: I agree with you on the artwork it was my favorite Part too, but my kids found it to be a little gross in a goofy kid (eww!) kind of way. Great for a laugh it's a good quick read for a Pre-K or k class. :lol2: thanks for the good review.
crashdnt
Currently Reading: The Cuban Affair
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashdnt.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by crashdnt »

Initially I was not interested in reading Sigfried's Smelly Socks. However, I reconsidered after your review. Although my son is older, he likes all things gross, and he likes to read things that rhyme, so I have downloaded this book for him. I like bright illustrations and will give this book a try as well.
dimitrigenx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dimitrigenx »

When reading this book some how i know i get a reality vibes from Sigfried's Smelly Socks!, I could buy a million more .

Return to “Children's Books”