Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a picture book geared towards young children aged three to seven years old. The story follows Sigfried, a young boy who is desperately trying to figure out why his book smells so much! In this book, the reader joins Sigfried as he explores all the various stinky and gross smells he can think of while he tries to get to the bottom of his problem. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is meant to be a humorous page turner. The book is twenty-six pages long and includes many full-page illustrations.

First off, the artwork in this book is nothing short of eye-catching: the characters are drawn in a unique and funny manner, the colors are bright and contrast well, and the images can clearly be deciphered without reading the accompanying words. Further, the illustrations take up the full page, and the corresponding narrative is expertly placed so the words stand out but do not take away from the beautiful images. Overall, the illustrations were my favorite part of this book; however, be warned, some readers may find the images a little gross!

The story in this book is fairly basic; the narrative mostly focuses on describing gross-smelling things. I think some children and parents may be put off by the barrage of grossness, but there are definitely some youngsters who will find this book hilarious. Topics like dog pee, rotten foods, dirty diapers and, obviously, smelly socks are just some of the smelly and gross topics discussed in this book, nothing appears to be taboo for Sigfried! Additionally, the story has a cute and funny ending; as an adult I couldn’t contain my laughter as I flipped to the last page.

The narrative is told through short, rhyming paragraphs. I found the majority of the rhymes were clever and fun to read aloud. There were a few vocabulary terms used that the intended age group may not know. Words like ‘blubber lumps,’ ‘lard,’ and ‘kraut’ may be unfamiliar to children and will have to be explained. However, there weren’t too many of these words in the text, so the story should read fluidly for most children. Additionally, there aren’t many words on each page of this book, so early-readers should have no problem reading portions of the book, if not the whole book, independently.

Although I must admit that this book really wasn’t what I was expecting, I think there are a lot of young children (and adults) who will find this to be a laugh-out-loud read. Adults and children can read this book together and laugh and gawk at all the gross images the author has expertly illustrated throughout its pages. Since there are really no downsides to this book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. However, I recommend this book to parents and children who find gross things funny, and I recommend this book be avoided by those that are easily put off by rotten food, bodily functions and reading about other gross smells!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love it already! The alliteration of the title is fun! Since you say that you couldn't helping laughing, I want to pick this up just for the fun of it! I don't have kids, but I like to be a kid at heart! Thanks for the cute story!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I think this will be a great book to use while I teach children about senses. Thanks for the fun review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Let me get this book and see whether the grossness will be funny. I agree with you that it is not for everyone.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

I loved reading your point of view and opinions on this book. I'd appreciate you reading my review of this book to compare opinions!
Latest Review: "Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think I will have fun with this book. I'm sure the ebook will not smell, but I wonder if the paper book will. (Magazines are able to do that with perfume ads. However, I don't know if that will help to sell this book, lol.)

Thanks for the fun review, MarisaRose!
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

I love this! Such a simple concept of finding out what stinks and turning it into a child little adventure! Sounds and looks like a lot of fun! (I'm that adult that still giggles at farts!) Thanks for your great review!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've actually already downloaded this from Amazon, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Now I'll surely have to because I'm firmly in the camp of "loves gross things" (in fact, I've been collecting all manner of 'poo' stuff, lately; pillows, PJs, keychains, etc, but I digress). Thanks for the awesome review!
Sweetpee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweetpee »

Awesome job! Your review gave me a clear picture of what the book was about and how the illustrations looked. :techie-reference:
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm grinning like a maniac already. What a fun idea, engaging the sense of smell through visual means!
Kxr3536
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kxr3536 »

I think my son Adrian would love the illustrations! Am excited to read it to him and see his reaction .Thanks for the in depth description of the book .
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I wonder how the author was able to merge grossness and humor together. He must be really artistic!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I like humor from gross things. I too read this book and really had a good laugh.
Please check out my review of this book and share your comments 🙂
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52548
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

My son would laugh out loud at this book. I think I'll pick it up for him. Thank you for the review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

I really hoped that this book would be funny like you said, but my daughter and I both just kind of found it to be meh. Great, thorough review though!

Return to “Children's Books”