Official Review: Adventures with Grandpa by Richard Crowe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Adventures with Grandpa by Richard Crowe

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adventures with Grandpa" by Richard Crowe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An exciting day for Kennedy spent with her Grandpa is what Adventures with Grandpa by Kennedy and Richard Crowe brings to readers. The tale is written in the first person, from the perspective of Kennedy, a six-year-old little girl.

Both of Kennedy’s parents are teachers. One day during school holidays, they both have to go to school to attend a teacher’s meeting. This means that neither of them is available to look after their daughter, Kennedy. Luckily, Kennedy’s Grandpa is available to look after her. The parents drop her off in the morning, and Grandpa and Kennedy start the day off by cooking breakfast together.

After breakfast, Grandpa prepares some mail that needs to be delivered and the two of them set off to put the letters in the mailbox. After the letters have been posted, the two of them continue with their walk and run into many unusual things that make the day truly memorable.

I’ll start by describing what I don’t like about the book. The font used is unusual, and sometimes the letters seem to join together, this makes it difficult to read. The style of printing for the photographs is also unusual; they are not clear being more stylized. I would have preferred the pictures of the animals seen to be clearer. I also spotted 4 or 5 grammar mistakes, but these were only small things and didn’t affect the story much.

Now I shall describe what I liked about the book. I loved the way that Grandpa seemed to be very interested in his Grand-daughter. He listened attentively and went out of his way to make things interesting for Kennedy. He not only taught her what he knew about the various aspects of their adventure, but he also went further and taught Kennedy where she could go to get her own answers if no one was around to explain things to her. The information provided was very accurate though not complete, I would have liked to see a little more detail included.

I would like to give this book 4 stars, but I found the font and the poor pictures too distracting, so I am going to rate this book as 3 out of 4 stars. I think this book would appeal to all pre-teen children, whether they are been read this story at bedtime by their parents, or reading it themselves to develop their own reading skills.

Adventures with Grandpa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
sunshinedee
Currently Reading: The Emerald City of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by sunshinedee »

I like this book Adventure with Grandpa by Richard Crowe.I see some grandpas having some adventures with their grandchildren and they look so wonderful doing things together.This is a good book for children and young people to read.They will learn to be respectful and love their grandpas.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Sounds like a lovely book despite a few quibbles. I was close to my Grandpa and it brought back some happy memories.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the poor pictures. I believe the story has merit. Children need more time spent with their elders. I think it helps them to learn about the past. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

In the Philippines, the grandparents (Lolo's and Lola's) are known to spoil the grandchildren (apo's) and are usually eager to volunteer as babysitters. This book brings back memories of time spent with my own Lolo's and Lola's.
Lincolnshirelass

:congratualtions-smiley: on being Member of the Month, Miriam Molina - and I think those are lovely names for your grandma and grandpa!

Mahatma Gandhi
Goaldiggergirl
Currently Reading: My Sister, My Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Goaldiggergirl »

This book, "Adventures with grandpa by Richard Crowe" reminds me of my childhood when i'm still in our province with my grandparents especially my grandpa who teached me a proper way to plant a tree.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 05:17 :congratualtions-smiley: on being Member of the Month, Miriam Molina - and I think those are lovely names for your grandma and grandpa!
Thank you for the flowers, Lincolnshirelass! My Lolo's and Lola's are all gone now. I do miss those loving moments with them.
Lincolnshirelass

@Miriam Molina - I empathise with that. The grandpa I referred to was the only one I knew into adulthood and even he passed away when I was 23. My 2 grandmothers died when I was 9 and 12 and my other grandpa before I was born, though I did have a step-grandpa. About names for grandparents, I like what they do in Sweden where you have different names for all four - MORMOR for mother's mother, MORFAR for mother's father, FARFAR for father's father and FARMOR for father's mother.

Mahatma Gandhi
Johnoscar
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Johnoscar »

I really like this book any time i read it makes me reminisce about my days with my grandpa in the woods.thanks alot for this great book
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like a cute story. I wonder what grandpa taught Kennedy. From the perspective of a six year old, this must have been amusing.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Children's Books”