Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This sounds like an interesting book, and I loved the review, but just one thing bothered me - I admit at once I haven't read it and it may well come up - I don't know if I like the idea that college/university is only about getting a job. Obviously, in the real world, that's a consideration, but surely higher education is also about broadening your mind and horizons and learning more about subjects you love.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm glad to know this book is not only for the children, but also for the adults like teachers and parents to help them to explain to their kids about college in way that is understandable to the children. Nice review!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wow, what a unique concept for a children’s book. Nowadays, it’s never too early to begin discussions about higher education. As always, you’ve given us another fantastic review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

A cute book with relevant information for children. I think it's helps kids focus on their future lives while still young. Good review, thanks.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! I can't say the book is especially fun for children, but it is a good way to start a discussion about an important topic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 08:57 This sounds like an interesting book, and I loved the review, but just one thing bothered me - I admit at once I haven't read it and it may well come up - I don't know if I like the idea that college/university is only about getting a job. Obviously, in the real world, that's a consideration, but surely higher education is also about broadening your mind and horizons and learning more about subjects you love.
I agree with you. The way the teacher's discussion starts in the book is asking the children what they want to be when they grow up. First of all, not every occupation requires a college degree - for example, policemen, firemen, plumbers, electricians, etc. Also, as you mentioned, college is also about studying subjects you enjoy and broadening your horizons.
Ranjoz01

Post by Ranjoz01 »

A very informative and educative book and indeed creative .looking forward to more.kudos
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

This seems like a really great option for classroom libraries. I'm not a teacher myself, but many of my friends and family are. I'll have to recommend it to them.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for taking the time to read my review and post a comment. The book is certainly a nice way to jumpstart a discussion with children about college.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

My parents also talked about college and the importance of school ever since I can remember. Pretty sure it started in elementary school, so I like the concept of this book. I also like how the illustrations worked well with the story and showed diversity within the classroom. It's especially great to hear that this was free of errors! Thank you for another insightful review, bookowlie!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What a fantastic book! Getting kids thinking about college at a young age is a MUST in today's times. When children start to see that learning never ends, more time will be spent planning and preparing for the next phase of their education, rather than looking forward to "being done." Also, being that Common Core State Standards places an emphasis on non-fiction texts, this sounds like a fun one to add to the mix! It's good to hear that not only is this book free of errors, but that the provided illustrations are purposeful and add to the book as a whole. This will definitely help young readers with their vocabulary development. Thank you so much for your review! I'm so happy I learned about this book! :-)
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I have never read such books. It sounds interesting. I might give it a try sometime. Thanks for your insights.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Wow. I love the concept here. I've worked in career guidance for some time and I KNOW that discussing college and career options in high school is way too late for many learners. Was this book sponsored by a government agency or something?
Lady Loch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-loch.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: pdf

Post by Lady Loch »

It is a refreshing theme for a children's book. It is interesting and also rare to find a book that targets children as its main audience which theme is introduction to college. And yes, it is unusual but also a sensible read for children, and the "casual, almost whimsical" (as per the review) font that it is written with is a clever way of somewhat reducing the formality of the book with the topic as it is.
An enlightening and succinct review.
herry123

Post by herry123 »

Wow! This book really is useful for children but asking from children what they want to be is not that good, right? I remember when I was asked this question but I answered something may be what my parents or society wanted me to be but you can't be the person that others want you to be.

Return to “Children's Books”