Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Post by pinklover »

wow, I like this book. your review make me interested to give this book a read. College is ever the dream of all people and this book gives them a hint. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Pinklover and welcome to the forums. :) I liked that the topic of college is introduced to young kids within an entertaining story. It's nice when a book can be both fun and educational.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

What's College About Anyway? by Betty Thomas Patterson is really interesting. Growing up, I thought air hostesses were pretty cool and I desired to be one. However, before I entered the University, I knew that wasn't going to be! It is important to equip children with a sound knowledge of what college is really all about. I think the author has contributed significantly in this area.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
rms2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rms2 »

Sounds like a perfict book for a school as well as a public library.... get this next generation thinking ahead!
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

Thanks for your informative review! This seems like a book that could be helpful for kids who may not have had a lot of exposure to college and what it’s all about.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

The book sounds a must have for all kindergartens. It's not usual to read a children's book about college. It's an exceptional guide for children at a very tender age. Personally, I feel every child should read this book. I am glad you enjoyed this book ad much as I enjoyed your review.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. A children's picture book explaining about college is definitely a good book. Thanks for making it free and congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

What a great way to get kids excited about higher education early on!
mosero
Currently Reading: Bud by the Grace of God
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosero.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by mosero »

I think this is an interesting book. Thank you for the review, I'll read to find out more
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

:) I am glad to read that this is such a great source for introducing children to college. Even with a couple words they might not understand yet, I would except there to be a brief explanation about what those words mean. I am happy that there are no errors, as that would be ironic in a children's book about college. I'm not sure that I like these illustrations for kids, however. It is too much like a lesson. Thank you for reviewing the book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

Interesting to find a children's book on college. Great thing to start introducing children to the concept of college early on in life. Thanks for your great review.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. I like the idea of a book introducing the idea of college to young children in this way. I think too many young people put off even thinking about college until things like grades, extra curricular activities and other things crucial to getting into a good college are already in motion. Bravo to the author for a great entertaining and educational children’s book.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It makes me so happy that the book is free of errors! I am always concerned when I read a review of a children's book that contains them. And I am always amazed at the authors and their creative ways. It would never have occurred to me to write a book for children on this subject. But why not? And it is a bonus that it is written in such a way as to draw them in.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

I definitely love this illustration book. It boosts the children to setting their distinct goal to achieving their dream jobs. The introduction is superb as well as the explanation of the whole concept of college. It is simple and straightforward. It gives an effective way to persuade children to make college as one of their stepping stone. Teaching children at early age of setting goals will inspire them to improve themselves little by little in order to reach their goals.
It will also teach them to be optimistic and diligent in life.

I also love the art. A big thumbs up to the author.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A nicely written review. Well done! The topic is definitely original and unique. The author seems to have done justice to it by breaking it down into fun illustrations and simple words that young children can relate to. I will be checking it out!

Return to “Children's Books”