Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: What's College About Anyway?

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What's College About Anyway?" by Betty Thomas Patterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s College About Anyway by Betty Thomas Patterson is a children’s picture book that provides introductory information about college. The story takes place in an elementary school classroom, with the teacher giving a lesson about what college is and its positive aspects. The teacher, Mrs. Sims, explains that college is where you go to learn about whatever type of job you want when you grow up. There is basic information provided that college is not free (and how to pay for it), extracurricular activities, and how you can attend college near your town or far away. Mrs. Sims also asks the students questions, such as what do they want to be when they grow up and if anyone in their family had gone to college.

I enjoyed this short book as it broaches the subject of college to young children in an interesting way. The class discussion is thought-provoking – for example, getting kids to consider their goals and the possibility of attending college in another part of the U.S. or even another country. The picture book style would appeal to ages 4-8 although slightly older children might also like the story.

The book is perfect for beginning readers as the vocabulary is fairly simple, for the most part. I noticed only a few words that would likely be unfamiliar to a child – scholarship, grant, and tutoring. Many of the pages contain only one or two sentences and the illustrations provide good visual cues. There are also pages that include a few paragraphs, but they are short and easy to understand. The book would also be a nice choice for teachers or parents to read aloud and discuss during storytime.

The book is beautifully illustrated by Agus Prajogo. Each page contains a full-length picture and a few of the pictures are spread across two pages. The colorful artwork accurately represents each part of the narrative. I particularly liked that the illustrations showed diversity among both the elementary students and college students. I also liked the author’s choice of a casual, almost whimsical font for the text.

I am pleased to report the book is free of errors, as this is especially important in a children’s book. Too many independently published books contain spelling and grammatical errors, and it was refreshing to discover this was not the case here.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s an entertaining story which provides useful information to children about an important topic. It would make a great addition to a child or teacher’s bookshelf.

What's College About Anyway?
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s picture book about college? Nice. It is great that the book broaches the subject of college in an interesting way, that the text is short and easy to understand, and that it is errors-free. I agree that the illustrations are great. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! It's certainly an original topic for a children's book.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover. That's a great topic to get children thinking from am early age. Very original. Nice review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreeley! Although it is not the typical type of fun story for young readers, it will get kids to think about college in a positive light.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I'm sure I was asked that question when I was a little girl. It's been so long ago and I can't even remember what answer I gave. I turned out to be an accountant.

Your review made me nostalgic for those innocent years of my life. Thanks for making me remember, Bookowlie.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote:"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I'm sure I was asked that question when I was a little girl. It's been so long ago and I can't even remember what answer I gave. I turned out to be an accountant.

Your review made me nostalgic for those innocent years of my life. Thanks for making me remember, Bookowlie.
It's funny how some kids will say realistic things like "I want to be a fireman" and others will say "I want to be a princess." :)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a really informative and educational book that belongs in classrooms in elementary school. I love that this is out there.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A book that teaches children that there is more to life than what they currently know. It may seem like a vague idea to the children but such knowledge sticks with them for a long time.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

i really appreciate your review it was concise and contained in the right proportion every information necessary to compel anyone to get the book. Although it seems the book is essentially meant for children but you were able to help adults to to see reasons to why they should read it too and that to me was a great job.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I really like this idea. I went into college not fully prepared for it and I think it's a great idea to start preparing kids at an early age for it.

Thanks for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Not only does this book sound well-executed, it sounds very crucial. I think children are definitely ready to become at least generally familiar with college at an elementary school age. The more a child knows about something, the less intimidating it becomes, and college should not be too intimidating! Great review!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

What a great idea for a book! We should be telling kids about college from an early age. It also seems like this might be a good book to buy a younger sibling if they have an older brother/sister going to college. Great review!
TWalt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TWalt »

I think this short story what's college about anyway? portrays what college really is simply enough for younger people to understand and take note of. And it was certainly easy for me to use in a seminar i taught about what to expect later in life and i even recommended the book to anyone who might have any questions. Thanks. :D
sunshinedee
Currently Reading: The Emerald City of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by sunshinedee »

This book "What"s College Life Anyway by Thomas Patterson is very amazing and educational books for children.I like it!Very inspiring story!

Return to “Children's Books”