Review by Whatisthis5546461 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Whatisthis5546461
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whatisthis5546461.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by Whatisthis5546461 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Whatisthis5546461 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon is a book for children. This is actually a story based on a pet cat named Puffy. It is especially for children to give them an idea that not to leave home without the consent of parents or elders. There are also other lessons such as coloring, read aloud and rhyming words. The book is full of illustrations. It is also a learning for children what to do in such a condition.

The book starts with a painting of Puffy. Puffy went outside for hunting a rat. He saw a hole, but when he poked his head a mole came out. In search of a rat, he ran into the woods. He slept under mushroom heads and after sleeping, he started to play. While he was playing, a new animal came and puffy thought that it was just like him. No one told him to be aware of a kitty whose order is stinky. It was not a kitty like him, but it was a skunk. The odor was a surprise after which Puffy ran back to home. After reaching home, he was given a bath by the owner. And this bath was bad because the shampoo used was disgusting. After that, he made his mind that everyone with four legs is not a cat. At the end, we see that Puffy stays in the house and away from the skunks. At the end of the story, we come to know that there is no other place like home.

This story is a great learning for children as it contains a number of lessons. The major one is that not to leave home without permissions. There is no other place like home because it is safe from all the dangers. At the end of the story, it is mentioned that “There is no place like home!” The book also contains the idea of rhyming words for the beginners.

This book is also a self-assessment for children to analyze such a condition. This book is a recommendation for night time bed stories and rhyming words. It provides a special message for parents to take care of their children. There is also another lesson and that is to take care of our pets. At the end, there is a sketch for coloring.

I rate Puffy and the Formidable Foe 4 out of 4 stars. Because it is a perfect learning for children and it is full of illustrations. It is a short book but still full of meanings and lessons. This book has a number of lessons for children as well as adults. I would recommend this book to all children who like to have stories before sleeping. It is a child grooming tool.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Whatisthis5546461's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Whatisthis, I agree that this book leaves open the way for self-assessment.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”