Official Review: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Re: Official Review: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever

Post by lavellan »

Thank you for your review! You make the book sound like it's an enjoyable read both parents and children. I like that the author also incorporates rhymes into the story.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This sounds like fun - fleas can wreak havoc! My pet peeves aren't pets, but grammar mistakes, so I'm glad you didn't mention any in this book!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

This is a cute idea, I love the mom's creativeness. A pet peeve! Then to have a flea infestation, oh my! Kudos to the author for digging deeper than the typical children's book to tell a detailed story to not only appeal to the kids, but the parents as well. Nice job! Thanks for the review!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love the idea behind this book. Though I'm curious about what a pet peeve looks like.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Clever children's book! I like the idea, and it sounds like a silly, fun, wonderful way for children to learn about the dangers of annoying people as well as the dangers of being too easily annoyed. Love it! Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Victor musau
Currently Reading: Behind The Door
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by Victor musau »

Great review on a book with humour, pet peeves and a relatable story for both the adults and the youngsters not to mention rhyming sing songs. Thanks botd.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

What a fun idea to have a pet peeve as a "pet" in the house. Even better, it looks like this story also shows the consequences of changing an ecosystem. With a laugh-out-loud kid's book like this, everybody wins
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Great review! I've been wondering how to do a children's book review and I think your description of the story, prose, and readability is spot on. Nailed it! Thank you for the wonderful example!
GranPeg
Currently Reading: Once in a Blue Year
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-granpeg.html

Post by GranPeg »

Great review. I like the idea of a pet peeve. I ordered the book and had it sent directly to my 7 year old grandson's Jr. Kindle Fire. :wink:
Last edited by GranPeg on 11 Jan 2018, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
battoes
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by battoes »

Thanks for this great review. I think my favorite part about the book is the clever premise, which is simple enough to catch quickly but abstract enough to lead to an interesting twist in the story. Thanks for sharing!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Authors of children's books are so creative! I would have never thought to write a book about this...and, make it funny! I have downloaded my copy, and I cannot wait to share it with my nephews! Thank you for your review...that, too, made me smile! :-)
Crissyrose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crissyrose »

This book sounds delightful, and the description of the rhyming structure is good for young readers to not only hear the narrative being modeled by the skilled adult readers but it's good to hear themselves reading it out loud.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

A high praise for this children's book. I've no doubt my nephew will love reading this one. Thank you for the great review.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I love when when an author can take an idea that in real life is not such a great thing and make into a gosh darn rolicking good time! ;)
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

The rhyming is reminiscent of Dr Suess! It is happy and comical and somewhat whimsical.

The Worst Pet Peeve Ever is written for children, about children (wishing they had a pet) and clearly illustrated in the style of children’s drawings. There is extra detail in the pictures for older children and parents to enjoy.

This is a feel-good book, fun and frivolous and a slightly tongue-in-cheek offering from the author.
She knows the rhymes are not perfect and often change from page to page, but that is part of the humour and charm, and reflects the child-like tone of the story. It also adds at least one extra word to a child’s vocabulary. ‘Peeve’ is not a word used every day yet by the end of the poem many children will have learned new information as well as having had a good time doing so.

When my kids were little we would all have enjoyed reading it together.

Return to “Children's Books”