Official Review: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Worst Pet Peeve Ever" by Anne Marie Hanlon Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Worst Pet Peeve Ever: Beware of What Bugs You by Anne Marie Hanlon Cook explores one mother’s pet peeve. In this particular family, the mother can’t stand the idea of a dirty, messy animal. However, her children would love nothing more than to have a family pet! Being a cleanly person, their mother decides the only pet they can have is a ‘pet peeve.’ This pet is the perfect pet: it doesn’t make a mess, and doesn’t eat much or dig up holes in the yard. This mother ends up convincing all of her friends in town to do away with their pets and adopt a pet peeve instead. But what happens to the fleas in the area when all the pets are gone? Why they find a new host to feed on, of course!

This illustrated book is approximately twenty pages long and would be best suited as a read-alone book for early independent readers or for adults to read to younger children. Simply put, this book is laugh-out-loud fun! The story the author weaves is clever and unique – I’ve never read a children’s book about pet peeves or the disastrous effects of a flea infestation. Throughout the story, the reactions of the parents and children are appropriate and relatable, and often times down-right funny. The best part about this children’s tale is that it is just as relatable from an adult perspective as it is from a child’s. I found myself smiling the whole time I read this story.

In addition to the amusing storyline, the author does a great job creating rhythmic prose. Rhyme is utilized throughout the narrative, but the rhyming never feels silly, forced or juvenile. The utilization of rhymes may also prove helpful to early independent readers who need clues to discern any words in the narrative which they may be unsure of. For the most part, the vocabulary used is simple, so independent readers can read through this book smoothly without too many questions.

The illustrations are just as amusing as the narrative. They are hand drawn and look like something a youngster would create themselves. Additionally, the characters depicted are expressive, and their emotive faces clearly match the corresponding words on the page. Even better, the animals included in the illustrations are adorable to look at. These illustrations have just enough detail to appeal to early independent readers; they aren’t just for very young children.

The Worst Pet Peeve Ever is an absolute joy to read for both parents and children. The writing style is fluid and fun to read aloud, the story is silly yet endearing and amusing, and the illustrations are simplistically eye-catching! Since there is nothing to dislike about this book, I happily rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book can easily be enjoyed independently by elementary school children or read aloud to a younger audience. I highly recommend parents read along with this entertaining, sing-song story because they will enjoy the comical tale just as much as their children!

The Worst Pet Peeve Ever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Ha ha ha! I LOVE the idea of this, as I love plays on words, especially puns, so reading about actual "pet peeves" sounds like a riot, not to mention the flea relocations. Thanks for the introduction; I'll def add this to my list of "Must Reads".
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review for a cute book. I particularly like how you give a target age group that would be appropriate for this book. Your comment about the rhymes not being silly made me laugh. My mother refused to read and Dr. Seuss books to me as a child because she hated the silly rhyming and made up words.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That sounds like such a cute review! Thanks for sharing the book with us. Sometimes maybe it is best to only have a pet peeve. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Athirah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Athirah »

The book very good for children
malikmaliik

Post by malikmaliik »

I LOVE the idea of this, as I love plays on words, especially puns, so reading about actual "pet peeves" sounds like a riot, not to mention the flea relocations. :D :D :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The concept of the story is so original and the hand drawn pictures sound really cute. I am going to take a second look at this one.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
tyiana Walker

Post by tyiana Walker »

I love the idea of this book. It makes reading fun for the parents and children as well. Both can relate and it also has a lesson inside of the learning experience of reading. I adore the fact that it also has humor, which is awesome for engaging our children to keep reading. I believe that this book would also be great for young readers who are trying to read or reading independently. This book to me as well would have to 4out of 4 stars.
Wawira254

Post by Wawira254 »

I love this book. It has a good storyline and also interesting and makes the reader clued to the book to know what happens next. It has lessons that a child Can learn from the book. It's a 4out of4 star. Nice
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. Silly and amusing stories are exactly my thing. But a flea infestation? I don't think anything good can come out of that.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Nyambura Gachoka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-gachoka.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Nyambura Gachoka »

the review is really good, it makes want to read the book.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What a lovely review of a lovely book! Not sure it's for me, but the review still drew me in. Great job!
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

It's kind of tempting to review it.
:tiphat:
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

That sounds like a book my five-year-old niece would love to be read to. Thanks for the review, the book sounds interesting and fun.
Paul Francisco

Post by Paul Francisco »

Very interesting many Childrens Can learn to this story many Lesson about messing around. Hahaha. I love the Story About. More. 😊😊

Return to “Children's Books”