Official Review: Stories from Bermuda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Stories from Bermuda

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stories from Bermuda" by Joya Georgiafay Kezas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories from Bermuda is a collection of four short stories written by Joya E. Georgiafay and Nelson Kezas. Joya was born in Bermuda, thereby adding an air of authenticity to the tales.

As a fan of Aesop's Fables and other morality tales, I was looking forward to reading this book. Substantially longer than fables, the stories were still nice, and I could easily discern the lessons they were seeking to teach.

Tawny and the Forbidden Swimming Hole starred Tawny and her twin sister, Pearl. The 8-year-old girls sneak off to swim in the swimming hole that their mother had forbidden them to visit and learn a valuable lesson in obedience. The twins are also featured in the story, Tawny and Lobsters Under the Bed. In this tale, the twins' father brings home a bag of live lobsters. Since their home is small, there's no storage room, so their father decides to put the bag under the girls' bed for the night. This does not sit well with Tawny because she is afraid of “those nasty things.” Tommy the Snail tells the tale of a snail who is trying to make his way from Mr. and Mrs. Rats' porch to the bush just off the edge of the porch, an endeavor that would take hours since snails “move very, very slowly”. The problem is that he's trying to make it before the Rats can find him and try to eat him. Lastly, Doug the Slug, Lee the Centipede and the Game of Cricket is the story of Doug, the slug of the title, who is trying to avoid being eaten by Lee, the centipede.

I found all four of the stories to be interesting, and I imagine that children would especially like the last story since it was the funniest. The lessons of obedience, perseverance, having confidence in oneself, and overcoming fears were subtle, and it didn't feel like the author was trying to hit me over the head with the morals. Even though I didn't spend a long time with any of the characters due to the nature of the tales, I still liked them well enough. Tawny and Pearl, in particular, were believable as young girls, and I could understand how frustrated their mother got with them. I also found myself cheering for Tommy and Doug in their stories.

Stories from Bermuda had a fair amount of pictures but perhaps a little less than most stories aimed at young children. What I did not like, though, was the usage of both cartoonish pictures and more realistic pictures (which may have actually been photographs). I think the tome would have been better off with one kind of graphic throughout, and the cartoonish pictures were drawn well. Still, I am open to the idea that children from Bermuda are used to such a mix of pictures.

One thing that really disappointed me about this book was the lack of editing. While I realize that at least one of the authors was originally from Bermuda, there's no excuse for not making sure the tome was error-free, which is especially important for a children's book. The missteps I noticed included errors in punctuation, misspellings, and clumsy sentence structure. “Visiting her good friend, Ina Simmons on the Saturday morning before the wedding, the girl’s mother whose name was Fay was talking about the girl’s singing in Church on the morrow” is just one example of the many sentences containing an abundance of errors. Additionally, Tommy the Snail contained the word “see” way too much. “So, the snail…his name was Tommy, though he could slide across the porch to the bush see. Tommy the snail wanted to get to the bush directly in front of the porch where he has been living since he left home see. The porch was shaped in a square and had two porch chairs on it and one wooden table with plants on it see” is an example passage. By the time I'd hit the second page of the story, I was hearing it being read in the voice of a cartoon mobster weasel. I strongly urge the authors to have this book properly edited since it's vitally important that children read error-free books as examples of the correct way to write.

Due to the abundance of errors and the jarring mix of picture styles, I am forced to give Stories from Bermuda 2 out of 4 stars. While I loved the content of the stories, their value is lessened greatly by the missteps I noted. I would not recommend this book for children until it's revised, but adults may still enjoy the tales, provided they can overlook the negatives I listed.

Stories from Bermuda
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Stories with moral lessons are definitely must read for children. It is a relief to know that you are still able to enjoy the 4 short stories despite the book is not properly edited. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thank YOU for your response, ParadoxicalWoman; I always feel a little saddened when a good story is messed up by bad editing, and I always hope the authors will come out with better, revised editions.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I enjoyed your review, MsTri, see! Would the "see" be something peculiar to the language in Bermuda, eh?

I do agree that children's books need to be error-free.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this didn't exactly hit the mark in the children's category. I think short, moral stories like those of Aesop are great for Children. We need some modern ones as this author attempted. Hopefully they can be revised and then children can enjoy. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sarah Safer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah Safer »

I reaally really love it!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

@Miriam Molina, Ha ha ha! "See" MAY be specific to Bermuda, but it wasn't in the other stories, so I don't know. Incidentally, one of my favorite Christmas carols is Do You Hear What I Hear, which of course has a verse with "See"!

@kandscreeley, I totally agree, and thank you for commenting.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I like your review. Sad to hear the good stories were mired in such poor writing. Sidenote: you still say "tome," that's amazing.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great stories teaching morals to children so that they can grow up to be respectful and responsible members of the community. Too bad the book was wasted by poor editing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I agree that errors are unprofessional in any published book, but particularly bad in a children's book. Having errors give children a bad example to follow at an age when they should be learning correct spelling and grammar. I can see how a mix of picture styles would give an inconsistent, busy feel.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Looks like a playful read for the young ones, so long as they can see the humorous play of words and 'autocorrect' the errors rather than learn them unwittingly.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for your comments, everyone... @Gunnar Ohberg, I'm glad you liked my usage of the word "tome". My reviews tend to be lengthy affairs, and I get tired of using "book", "story", and "tale", so I throw that in there to mix things up and not be too repetitive. That's also why I may use the actual title another time, outside of in the intro and ending.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I was beginning to get impressed with the book until you brought up that awkward sentence. Besides the drawbacks, there is still room for improvement.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This sounds like a nice book for kids. Too bad about the lack of editing. Hopefully, the author will fix the errors mentioned. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Children's Books”