Official Review: The Travels of Adventurous Alexander and...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: The Travels of Adventurous Alexander an

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:My family is from the Dominican Republic actually, so the content piques my interest! Not sure if I like the jumping from one sightseeing excursion to next so quickly; it seems the story might be too stiff, especially if the characters aren't developed well. However, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the tour guide's clear explanation and the book overall. Thank you for providing both positives and things that could be improved in this read. :)
How interesting! Then you probably already know much of the info in the fact pages. I did enjoy many parts of the book despite the issues i mentioned.

-- 17 Nov 2017, 21:04 --
Lincolnshirelass wrote:This evokes memories of the 'Young Traveller' books that I devoured as a child!
I never heard of this series, but I can going to look it up on Amazon.

-- 17 Nov 2017, 21:06 --
Mallory Whitaker wrote:Great review! I think I'd be a little bored reading a textbook-like explanation of amber mining (personally) and I'm an adult. I can't imagine being a child and trying to read about that. Then again, I made it through a lot of technical explanations in the Little House books around that age so you never know. Either way, this sounds a little outside of my wheelhouse.
The fact pages are not that long; they are each about two short paragaphs and contain a photo. I can see a child getting bored, but not an adult.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Michael Davids daudi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Honestly it's encouraging

-- 27 Nov 2017, 04:07 --

Honestly it's encouraging
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It seems this is a fun book to learn many things about Dominican Republic. I like the trivia idea. Kids enjoy doing that. Too bad about the inconsistency of the drawings. Was it done on purpose to look for the differences? I wonder. Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I hope kids enjoy reading it inspite of the text book looks.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I am interested to read this book. It look interesting and full of adventure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You gave :tiphat: me such an idea. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Children's Books”