Official Review: Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the B...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Official Review: Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the B...

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the Barnyard at Night?" by Christina Taber.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christina Taber’s book Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the Barnyard at Night? is a fun and lighthearted story that any child with a big imagination will enjoy. As one might guess from the title, the story begins with a silly question—just what happen in the barnyard after all the humans go to bed? It's a question that takes readers on a wild, silly journey. Kids will get to stretch their creative muscles while imagining what might happen in a barnyard at night. Do the pigs and the mice have secret hobbies? Do the horses organize a dance? Thanks to the talented illustrator, Amanda Wentz, these fantasies come to life before our eyes.

At the book's beginning, we meet the narrator (a little brown-haired girl with a side braid) as she peers out her window at the barnyard. We catch a glimpse of the animals—horses, cows, pigs, chickens, ducks—serenely sleeping under the moonlight. Then, as the narrator's childish imagination starts to take over, each page of illustrations escalate with wild fun. “Do the pigs play checkers while the mice fly kites?” wonders the narrator. Readers are treated to a fun depiction of five pigs playing checkers and tic-tac-toe while a cow watches from the background with a grin on his face. A little later, the narrator wonders whether the animals get together for a go-cart race. We see screaming chickens and bleating goats, speeding their way downhill in apple carts as the stars shine overhead.

With a total of 26 pages, Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the Barnyard at Night? is a short read. It would be the perfect book for young kids who have short attention spans. The book is colorfully illustrated. There’s even a hide-and-seek game on each page as a nice side bonus for little ones who might otherwise be easily distracted. Kids can follow Eliza, a little white mouse, as she scampers through the barnyard at night to see just what those funny farmyard animals are up to. It turns out that the barnyard is not as calm and quiet a place as it may seem!

I enjoyed this book. The illustrations in particular were entertaining and well done. Still, I was left hoping for a bit more. I wanted to know more about the little girl who narrates the story, and it would have been nice if the animals had gotten themselves into a scrape. As it was, the book had little in the way of plot or a climax. Also, there were a couple grammatical errors. On page nine, the text reads “bubble batch” when it should say “bubble bath”. A bit later, there’s a misplaced exclamation mark. Besides these spelling and grammar errors, the book seemed to be professionally edited, and the illustrations were remarkably done.

In sum, Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the Barnyard at Night? was a entertaining read. I’m giving it 3 out of 4 stars. I debated giving it 4 stars but ultimately decided against it. Although there were only a couple errors, this still seemed like too many in a book of this length. Still, I think this book would make a wonderful gift for any child or adult with a big imagination!

Do You Ever Wonder What Happens in the Barnyard at Night?
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lizzybest
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzybest.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Lizzybest »

"Do the horses organize dance"? I think I would read the book to find out. Thanks indeed to the talented writer and illustrator. This book is gonna be interesting. Great review.

-- 02 Nov 2017, 04:07 --

The reviewer did a great job
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Lizzybest wrote:"Do the horses organize dance"? I think I would read the book to find out. Thanks indeed to the talented writer and illustrator. This book is gonna be interesting. Great review.

-- 02 Nov 2017, 04:07 --

The reviewer did a great job
Thanks for stopping by!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A hide and seek game? I love that! I love that it has a story AND a hide and seek game! I know I would have loved that when I was younger. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

kandscreeley wrote:A hide and seek game? I love that! I love that it has a story AND a hide and seek game! I know I would have loved that when I was younger. Thanks!
I thought it was adorably creative!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a fun little book! Even as an adult, I do so love books about what animals/toys/etc. do when people are sleeping or away. But you're right, they're usually better when there's some conflict or a problem. Still, it's only 26 pages and I love the idea of the hide-and-seek game included... I'll see if I can get a copy for youngsters I know.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

This reminds me of the movie "Barnyard". My kids loved it, every time a human was looking they were normal animals but as soon as they turned their backs the animals were partying and dancing! Sounds like a wonderful addition to any childs library!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds so cute! I can easily envision how much a young child would enjoy reading it. Such a shame about the errors :( In a children's book, that seems like an even bigger deal, and hopefully they will be able to fix them!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. This actually got me imagining what really happens in the barnyard at night. Maybe the animals just sleep.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'd love to read this book, sounds adorable even for adults. I enjoyed reading your review, @Ashley Simon, you make the book sound really enticing!

Return to “Children's Books”