Review by theobsessivepenguin -- Puffy and the Formidabl...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
theobsessivepenguin
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theobsessivepenguin.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by theobsessivepenguin -- Puffy and the Formidabl...

Post by theobsessivepenguin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a good book for kids who are just learning to read. Overall I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It has simple understandable language and does have some words that might be new to kids. This is good because it makes them ask questions about what they are reading rather than just regurgitating what they have learned. It is an easy read with an obvious object lesson for the kids reading.

Another thing that I feel is important are the illustrations. The art in most children’s books is done at a very high level. It is clearly done by an adult with a lot of practice. In this book the drawings are much more simple and childlike. While children have a great eye for detail and can spend several minutes just looking at the pictures on a single page before moving on it is also important for them to see that no one can just do that without practicing. This style of drawing is something closer to what they themselves are doing. This can encourage them and help them to realize that just because something that they drew doesn’t look exactly the way they wanted it to doesn’t mean that it isn’t art. They have the ability to make their own art in their own style and have people appreciate it.

Another thing that I like is the use of rhyme in the story. I think it is very important for kids to learn about the different ways that language can work. Having words that sound the same but mean different things and words that mean the same thing but look nothing alike are important to know. But it is also important to know how to put words together not just to make meaning but to make sound and that is what rhyming does.

I think it is great that this story show that mistakes are made and that’s okay as long as you learn from them. If the story had Puffy messing up and then just going back and doing the same thing that would give kids the impression that it doesn’t really matter what you do. But if it hadn’t shown Puffy making a mistake and getting something wrong then kids might think that making mistakes is not normal. If they think they have done something horribly wrong then they will hide it and not find out how to fix it.

It is important for kids and adults to know that yes, mistakes have consequences, but also you can use those mistakes to learn how to fix things and do a better job next time. When Puffy made his mistake he went to his owner for help. Kids should feel that they are able to go to their parents when they make a mistake and know that they will get help if they need it.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like theobsessivepenguin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”