Official Review: The Adventures of Fawn Book 1 'Til t...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Adventures of Fawn Book 1 'Til t...

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Fawn Book 1 'Til the Last Snowflake Falls" by Al E. Boy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Fawn Book 1 ‘Til the Last Snowflake Falls is a touching and memorable story of love and friendship written by Al E. Boy.

Fawn is the spirited daughter of the legendary reindeer couple Comet and Vixen. She lives with her parents in Santa’s Village in the North Pole. Without anyone to play and have fun with except twin forgetful elves, Forgetful1 and Forgetful2, Fawn is tremendously bored. She tries every form of persuasion she can but still she fails to convince her parents to let her go out of the village and see the world. She believes that her parents are treating her like a baby. So, when Fawn finds a way to sneak out, she looks forward to a day of so much fun and adventure. But she finds more than that. She meets new friends and encounters dangerous situations. Fawn finally realizes how right her parents are.

This is a wonderful book of love and friendship. Told in the third person perspective, the story is a perfect depiction of an ordinary family. The author successfully portrays the tenacity of young people, the stubborn determination to do what their parents exactly forbid, the unreasonable sense of invincibility, and the lack of consideration for their parents’ caution. Similarly, the author perfectly describes the parents’ unconditional love for their children, the propensity to shield their children from all kinds of danger both real and imagined, the natural tendency to worry first and admonish later, and the total disregard for their own safety just to make sure their children are safe and well.

Moreover, the story illustrates friendship in its truest form, that which is not deterred by distance, that which does not question but simply believes and acts and, most importantly, that which is willing to sacrifice oneself for the sake of his friends.

In addition to the exciting and beautiful plot, the description of Santa’s Village is so vivid and sensuous that the readers can easily imagine the colorful shops and can almost taste the candy canes and sugar plums that I wanted to read on forever to prolong the magical feeling the book elicits from the readers. Furthermore, the author creates both endearing and nasty characters. My favorite is Snowman. He is kind, brave and protective.

However, I find the story too long for very young readers. Moreover, I would love more back stories on Dr. Mary Weather. But with this book being the first in the series, it may be possible that the good and lovable doctor’s back stories may be revealed on the succeeding books. Finally, I noticed some errors in the book (like not very far from her instead of here, to met him, what happened to you mom and dad) which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a beautiful and well written book perfect for school children and for parents to read to younger children not just during the Christmas season but throughout the year.

The Adventures of Fawn Book 1 'Til the Last Snowflake Falls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. It's true that children always want to experiment and they get bored easily. I like that the author tackles that.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really cute children's book with a great message. It's just in time for Christmas too :) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:Lovely review. It's true that children always want to experiment and they get bored easily. I like that the author tackles that.
Yes. It's a very relatable book :)

-- 27 Oct 2017, 10:26 --
kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like a really cute children's book with a great message. It's just in time for Christmas too :) Thanks for the review.
Cute, fun and adventure-filled. Perfect for Christmas :)
wicked
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by wicked »

The book is really awesome every child needs to read it
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I have a heart for children's books, and this one sounds very interesting! I love magical stories, especially if they are connected to Christmas.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I LOVE children's books and Christmas books are especially fun, so this sounds like one to read, for sure. Even though my own children are grown and out of the house, I do still have some small ones around here and there, so I'm sure they'd enjoy it, as well... And great job on the review; it was super-convincing! One question - you note being able to "picture" everything; does that mean there were no pictures? Or just very few?
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I agree with many others who have already stated this, but this sounds like a very cute book. It is always fun when an author can tell a story about family love without being heavy-handed. I am not quite ready for Christmas books, but after Halloween I look forward to falling into the deeply descriptive prose that will help me get into the spirit of the magic of Christmas!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

wicked wrote:The book is really awesome every child needs to read it
So true. Thank you for the comment :)

-- 27 Oct 2017, 21:07 --
Mindi wrote:I have a heart for children's books, and this one sounds very interesting! I love magical stories, especially if they are connected to Christmas.
So do I. Christmas books just never get old :)

-- 27 Oct 2017, 21:10 --
MsTri wrote:I LOVE children's books and Christmas books are especially fun, so this sounds like one to read, for sure. Even though my own children are grown and out of the house, I do still have some small ones around here and there, so I'm sure they'd enjoy it, as well... And great job on the review; it was super-convincing! One question - you note being able to "picture" everything; does that mean there were no pictures? Or just very few?
Thank you for raising that question. It seems I forgot to include that. There are illustrations at the end of every chapter but they are mostly drawings in black and white.

-- 27 Oct 2017, 21:12 --
Kat Berg wrote:I agree with many others who have already stated this, but this sounds like a very cute book. It is always fun when an author can tell a story about family love without being heavy-handed. I am not quite ready for Christmas books, but after Halloween I look forward to falling into the deeply descriptive prose that will help me get into the spirit of the magic of Christmas!
I hope you include this in your list :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Sounds like a lovable book to teach kids to be amenable since their parents want the best for them. Too bad the book is too long. Perhaps the future installments won't be like that. Thanks for the interesting review!
Al E Boy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Al E Boy »

Thank you very much for the kind words kimmyschemy06. Yes...Dr. Mary Weather goes on to play an even greater role in The Ona Pendulum, and, Far And Yet So Near.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kalin Adi wrote:Sounds like a lovable book to teach kids to be amenable since their parents want the best for them. Too bad the book is too long. Perhaps the future installments won't be like that. Thanks for the interesting review!
Thank you very much. It's one great book :)

-- 28 Oct 2017, 02:32 --
Al E Boy wrote:Thank you very much for the kind words kimmyschemy06. Yes...Dr. Mary Weather goes on to play an even greater role in The Ona Pendulum, and, Far And Yet So Near.
That's awesome! Congratulations on your book. It's great :)
Al E Boy

Post by Al E Boy »

Ms. kimmyschemy...if you do not mind...I found and corrected the first two errors you mentioned (thank you very much!!!!) but I cannot find 'to met him'. I wrote it...so you would think I'd remember every little thing...but I am stumped. Can you possibly point me in the right direction, please? Even a hint? Oh! I am going to submit Book 2...The Ona Pendulum.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Al E Boy wrote:Ms. kimmyschemy...if you do not mind...I found and corrected the first two errors you mentioned (thank you very much!!!!) but I cannot find 'to met him'. I wrote it...so you would think I'd remember every little thing...but I am stumped. Can you possibly point me in the right direction, please? Even a hint? Oh! I am going to submit Book 2...The Ona Pendulum.
@Al E Boy
Can you check page 143 of the pdf? I think it's somewhere in paragraph 9 (While she appeared to be delighted to met him...)
Al E Boy

Post by Al E Boy »

Thank you ever so much!

Return to “Children's Books”