Official Review: Halloween with Snowman Paul by Yossi Lapid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Halloween with Snowman Paul by Yossi Lapid

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Halloween with Snowman Paul" by Yossi Lapid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Halloween with Snowman Paul is a festive picture book; this is the sixth volume in the Snowman Paul Book Series. The book is authored by Yossi Lapid and illustrated by Joanna Pasek. This Halloween-themed book is told in rhyme and follows a young boy and Snowman Paul as they venture to a spooky tree-house and experience many festive activities, like dressing up in costumes and partaking in some scary situations. They even run into some unlikely characters, like a witch and some aliens!

The story itself is simple but unique: I’ve never read a book about a snowman enjoying Halloween before! The story revolves around a tree-house party and some warnings about the spooky abode. There is one main character, a young boy, that the reader follows while he reads through the various warnings associated with the tree-house, but plenty of other children and fun animals are introduced along the way. The children presented in this book are inclusive, which was one of my favorite aspects of this book. Various ethnicities and genders are portrayed, ensuring this book can be enjoyed to the fullest extent by all parents and children.

I was hard pressed to choose what I liked most about this book; between the fun, sing-song narrative and the vibrant, engaging illustrations, there is a lot to love about this book. The illustrations really stood out to me; each one is a colorful, full two-page spread. The large size added a lot of enjoyment to the story as the illustrator incorporated many fun details to hold the attention of readers both young and old. Children and adults will marvel at the spooky settings, emotive characters and various creatures found throughout the picture book. The many details will have readers lingering on each page to ensure nothing is missed.

The reading level of this book is very basic, which will make this an interactive read for both younger children and parents. The language is simple, and there is a strong connection between the words used and the images on each page, so children can easily follow along by analyzing the images while their parents read aloud. Further, the simplistic style of this book makes it a good choice for young children that are learning to read on their own. The lack of complex words, long sentences and elaborate ideas means youngsters can read to themselves without having to ask too many clarifying questions.

There is nothing to dislike about Halloween with Snowman Paul! Even as an adult, I couldn’t stop smiling while I read this book and admired the illustrations. Young children will be entranced by the beautiful, elaborate pictures, and they will surely want to read along with the lyrical narrative. I happily rate this festive picture book 4 out of 4 stars, and I highly recommend it for all types of early readers.

Halloween with Snowman Paul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is a fun book for children especially those who might get scared during halloween.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like another great Snowman Paul book; I will definitely be checking it out.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great book. I love kid's and young adult stories about Halloween and haunted houses. It definitely is a little bit unique since there is a snowman involved. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Snowman Paul sounds like a character who brings laughs to many kids (and adults). I'm having a hard time imagining a snowman at Halloween :P
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amica
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Amica »

great
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Lovely review, I do so love children's books and I'm quite curious to read about the Halloween adventures of Snowman Paul.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Paulongoro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulongoro.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Paulongoro »

Great review!
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! Kids always love books in a series where they can follow the same character in different situations. It's good to hear that the illustrations are large (2 pages long!) and there are different ethnicities featured.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I enjoy reading good children's stories and it feels like they reconnect me to the pleasant world where I once lived in. Snowman Paul seems like an interesting character.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This book sounds adorable! I'm not a kid and even I would read it. Great review, MarisaRose.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

I love that children and parents can follow Snowman Paul on so many different adventures!
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

That's a really unique storyline. Perfect for this time of year!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I am glad you enjoyed the book, it looks interesting and fun... I am sure I too would have enjoyed it. Thanks for a great review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I usually enjoy reading kids' books, especially if they have colorful full-page illustrations. Although I dislike the Halloween topic, parents and children may find this book unique due to the inclusion of a snowman and different ethnicities . Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”