Education through stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lifeeased
Bookshelf Size: 0

Education through stories

Post by Lifeeased »

Studying is one of the most boring thing to do as far as most kids are concerned. What if all subjects books are made enjoyable. Like a story to teach a concept rather than raw facts. That would have made studying so much fun . You know books like Dear Greenpeace introduces kids to the topics like ecology, conservation etc. It's fun to read the story as well as informative.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

It's not a bad idea but textbooks are serious books designed to discipline and teach students. There are some side textbooks for kids that incorporate enjoyable stories.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

This is a concept that I think is actually becoming more popular. Google "The Story of the World" and "The Life of Fred." They are both homeschool curriculums that take the approach your talking about by making otherwise boring facts into interesting stories for children to help them learn.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I love Cindy Neuschwander’s Sir Cumference Series. What a great way to teach geometric concepts! My favorite read aloud for Pi Day is Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi. The math is accurate, the story is engaging, and the illustrations are fantastic.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I read and reviewed a children's book The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn and it was an awesome experience. Children can learn how to resolve conflicts peacefully and how to manage their anger from the story. I learnt some tips on anger management and conflict resolution from the book. And it was a fun read! I think education, where possible, should be presented to children in a fun way that they can relate to.

The link for my review is below if you want to check it out!
https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/view ... 60&t=57385
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I loved The Magic Tree house series as a kid. Granted they weren't nonfiction, but it got me interested in topics as a kid. Stories for teaching are fantastic, they can just be difficult to get right.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I wish the subjects were made more enjoyable for me when I was in school. It would have made things a lot easier for me. The way subjects are designed is so boring that kids lose interest very quickly.
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

I love The Magic School Bus books. They are funny, entertaining, engaging, and educational. That said, not all education needs to come from books aimed explicitly at teaching children something specific. I think children can learn a lot through reading fiction as well. They learn to empathize with and imagine the lives of different characters, think about what they would do in the fictional situations they encounter, as well as learning about what life was like at different times and in different places. They also develop vocabulary through reading pretty much anything. I feel that all this is just as important as overt academic instruction.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that kids may find it hard to read but this is not a true fact for all. Some love reading books. The books could also be improved a bit to include catchy illustrations that the kids will find captivating. Other avenues for learning such as through songs and visuals, however, still can be the alternatives.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

The best teachers teach outside the textbook. Supplement the material in the book with other great stuff. Pick a read aloud that follows the history theme. Do an art project like hieroglyphics. Incorporate Magic Schoolbus into your science class, or watch Bill Nye the science Guy.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Tbunde5 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 21:10 The best teachers teach outside the textbook. Supplement the material in the book with other great stuff. Pick a read aloud that follows the history theme. Do an art project like hieroglyphics. Incorporate Magic Schoolbus into your science class, or watch Bill Nye the science Guy.
Real learning is nearly impossible unless it is enjoyable. Learning is done best through relating rather than telling.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

Real learning is nearly impossible unless it is enjoyable. Learning is done best through relating rather than telling.
I so agree! Children remember so much more of what they do than what they hear
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

This topic is interesting i may say that reading story or telling story to our kids can really educate them because whatever they hear they can remember even thou you think they are not listening. I notice it to my child i always read bed time story but seems hes not interested but when the morning comes there are characters or idea they can remember.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm not sure how that could be done for math then, but the idea would be interesting.
I do love to learn by reading - sort of like Animal Farm.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

This would be a great read for children in a class or book club so that they can share ideas. Learning to brainstorm, to collaborate and to solve problems are essential life skills. This book is a fun and excellent teaching tool.

Return to “Children's Books”