Do you read aloud to older children?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Do you read aloud to older children?

Post by Amagine »

We all know the importance of reading to children. We know the many benefits of it such as the child having an increased vocabulary, love for books, a chance to bond with the reader and much more.

I've been reading that even though adults read aloud to younger children, they tend to stop as the child becomes older (8-13). These are the ages where a decline of children reading for pleasure is happening. It is encouraged for adults to continue reading with older children even into their teenage years.

What is your opinion? Do you think it has become imperative to read aloud or with older children? Do you read with older children? Why or why not?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Swalleh Brown
Currently Reading: My Ladybird Story
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Swalleh Brown »

Yes,i do read for olderchildrens. though nowerdays most of children of age 8 and above don't have time to listen to readders or to read by themselves but thanks to God where i live children have the love of listen to readders and they practise readding
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I teach and encourage my daughter to read well and clear regardless of age.
Alphonse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alphonse »

Read aloud to children is one among the wide range of parenting roles an adult/Parent/Guardian have to fulfill and I think it does not stop at certain age/ development stage. You have to keep the courage and much more encouragement needs to be given to a child.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I read aloud to my 12-year-old and he still seems to enjoy it. He reads a lot on his own, but he seems to get a special sense of closeness from reading together.

Over the years we've read books like Little House, Narnia, Bible stories, Snow Treasure, Roald Dahl, 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, Nancy Drew, etc.

What books do you read aloud with your older kids?
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

This is such a good question! My kids are still pretty little, and love being read to, but I really hope that they’ll still be excited about story time when they’re bigger.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

The older children in our life read to us and we read to them. As a result, they are very comfortable in theater and debate class. Sometimes we do "voices" and sound effects too.
Fikayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Fikayo »

Well, i'm not too old myself but then i think it is a good habit especially if the adult listener likes it.
Faith Atieno okoth
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-atieno-okoth.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faith Atieno okoth »

Reading, helps children in many ways it makes them sharp, if you read with your child you increase his or her chances of good spelling, correct pronunciations and expanding their vocabulary and they feel,high,when talking publicly
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Storytime is the best part of my day, I have no intention of stopping it when my son gets older! I have an almost-5-year-old who loves reading as much as I do, and we take turns working through a stack of books at bedtime. As he grows, and as his reading skills grow, I hope we can still enjoy that peaceful time together.

I love having someone read to me; I find audiobooks incredibly relaxing for this reason. My mother read to my sisters and I well into our pre-teen years, so I'm sure I associate being read to with feeling soothed and safe.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I don't have children myself, but my parents read to me for a very long time! Even after I had my own place, my father would occasionally come over and read to me while I lay on the couch and shut my eyes to imagine the story taking place. It was a lovely way to spend time together, so I'd recommend it to anyone :)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Yes, I do read out to older children. I have read books for children of all ages where I work, as it encourages them to relax and enjoy the story. Plus, it gives a chance to see reading modeled by a more accomplished reader and if any of them are mispronouncing words internally, then they can hear the correct pronunciation from me or from their teachers.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I read aloud to my 8 year old, and will continue to do so as he gets older. He enjoys listening to books that might otherwise be above his reading level, and it is a way for us to bond. It's also a great way for him to calm down just before he goes to bed.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I am not a parent, so I don't know how much validity my opinion has, but I have been a foster parent (very briefly) for my cousin when she was 9/10. One of the things that I did to bond more with her was read a chapter of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland before bed. I was already somewhat close with her, but I was trying to give her a more stable environment than she had been used to. She really enjoyed it, but, as time went on, she developed more emotional problems so we stopped. Unfortunately, my efforts did not stick as she is not a reader and struggles in school.

I do think it is important to read with older children, either aloud or as an activity. If adults (or older siblings or mentors) read the same book as a child--even if separately, like a book club, it gives them a point of discussion and can strengthen the bond between both parties.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

My kid is still a baby so I really can't answer this question. I think at that age, the child might prefer reading aloud to you instead.

Return to “Children's Books”