Official Review: James and the Birthday Balloon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Re: Official Review: James and the Birthday Balloon

Post by okayode »

Cool children story book.. Primary schools here should teach children literature with this kind.
Plenty of lessons to learn.
Great review.
I like it.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Oh what a sweet children's story! I love the fact that James displays such a sweet, and caring nature to his friend Ruby. Thank you for the review.
pentho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pentho »

Actually,I think the author who wrote this story planned carefully without writing.
These are the kind of book that in amuse children,colourful and easy to read.its a good review
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like a wonderful book to teach children about friendship, and to help overcome fears of the hospital. I know my boys would have enjoyed a book like this when they were younger. Thanks for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Lovely free picture book for the little ones re lessons on friendship, sharing & empathy. Wonderful illustrations to go along with narrative making it easier for early readers. Love also that donations from proceeds will go to a children's hospital! Thanks for a great review!
Last edited by TIGER999 on 01 Nov 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Nice lesson to be learnt by children. I will recommend it to my younger sister.
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. I have two grandchildren who are in the age group that you mentioned and I think they would really love this book! Thanks for the recommendation and showing a 4 star review.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

The illustrations were nice and simple. The overall layout was quite aesthetic. The emphasis on James' character kind of threw me off. Other than that, the story was very sweet. I love the morals presented: selflessness, and kindness. Thanks for a great review! :D
Last edited by ladycraic on 01 Nov 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemary22
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Maverick's Roundup
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reading Device: B074M12SQ7

Post by Rosemary22 »

James and the Birthday Balloon - a review by Rosemary Kenny

This book is ideal for young early readers and pre-school children's bedtime story shelves, with its familiar and easy to follow story of Ruby's birthday party and how James her friend helps her appreciate the temporary nature of balloons and how to enjoy them while you have them. The clear, brightly coloured illustrations are also sure to engage the reader's interest and help to explain the events for non-readers too.

Author Nicola J Rowley also sensitively and calmly explains that sometimes accidents do happen and that parents, friends and medical professionals are in place to comfort, reassure and when necessary treat injuries that sadly can occur even when a child is being properly looked after in a normally-safe environment.

The characters are well-rounded and posited in a way that caters to young children, letting them enjoy the theme of the party and having fun with friends and family which is a pleasant idea for the reader (or read-to) to focus on. Yet the sub-theme of being hurt and helped to recover quickly is a gentle reminder that life is not lived in a bubble, thus opening an avenue for discussion and reassurance on a rare but possible life-event.
Que Lopez
Currently Reading: The hate you give
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-que-lopez.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Que Lopez »

There's nothing like a picture book for children that teaches the importance of friendship and how to treat others with kindness. This seems like a really good book that I could get for my niece, who will soon be two.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Onneile Ntokolo

Post by Onneile Ntokolo »

:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :D what a great book...
Brendajo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Brendajo »

Thank you for the review. Children's books do seem to get a little repetitive but my little one may want to take a look when he's a bit older.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Sounds like a very cute story for a child. Thanks for sharing.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I couldnt agree more. The illustrations are charming and the simply tale is something I feel most children would be able to understand. Ill definitely share this story to my kid.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This is fantastic for younger readers, with some great illustrations. Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill

Return to “Children's Books”