Official Review: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas" by M.A. Baer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas is a short picture book written by M.A. Baer and illustrated by Marita Gentry. The book is about Mike, a man living in the Last Frontier, also known as Alaska. Early one morning, Mike finds a cute little surprise outside his front door. Blue, a fluffy, white kitten quickly steals Mike’s heart. Unable to part with his new friend, Mike decides to bring Blue along for a dogsled ride. Mike is in for a shock when Blue takes over and begins pulling Mike and his sled by himself! Blue is on a mission to help his old friend, Santa, make his Christmas rounds.

The story of Mike and Blue and their unlikely friendship is heartwarming and easy to follow along with. There are some magical elements in the book that young readers will enjoy, and there are even instances of informative topics about Alaskan culture which will no doubt spark conversation between children and adults. However, the main characters are an older man and a kitten. Although children will have no trouble falling in love with Blue, the kitten, the adult protagonist, Mike, may fail to grasp the attention of younger readers.

The illustrator did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the Christmas spirit within the illustrations. The colors used are eye-catching and give the images a magical and ethereal appearance. The characters are drawn in a fairly realistic manner, making the illustrations seem appropriate for readers young and old. In addition, there is just enough detail in the full-page images to hold one’s attention and keep the reader lingering on the images long after they have read the associated narrative on the page.

There are a few downsides to this children’s tale. The font choice is incredibly small. Although this works to prevent distraction from the beautiful illustrations, it can be hard to read the words in places. Also, the small print does not invite a child to try to read along. In fact, the minute font may prevent the adult reader from properly showcasing the pictures as they read the story aloud to an audience because the book must be held rather close to one’s face to actually see the fine print. Lastly, this book would benefit from thorough editing. There were a few instances of run-on sentences and misplaced commas, and even a missing word on one occasion. However, these errors were not overly distracting.

The illustrations alone warrant a high rating; however, the unfortunate font choice and the need for additional editing led to the subtraction of one star, leaving The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas with a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Those who revel in Christmas stories and enjoy beautiful illustrations will find this book appealing. This book is appropriate for all ages, but very early readers may need assistance understanding some vocabulary used in the book.

The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

It's a shame the font size is so small. The story sounds interesting and I like that it includes info about Alaskan culture. Alaska is a great setting for a children's (or even adult!) book. Great review as always.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

bookowlie wrote:It's a shame the font size is so small. The story sounds interesting and I like that it includes info about Alaskan culture. Alaska is a great setting for a children's (or even adult!) book. Great review as always.
Thanks Bookowlie! I really did enjoy the setting of this one. It was something different, something I hadn’t read before! I do hope the author reconsiders the font size. Especially because the illustrations were incredibly enjoyable and should be viewed by a large audience!
Farhan faryad
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farhan faryad »

:?: v.good book
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

You have written a great review @marisarose, however, I don't think i will like to read the book because it's not my kind of genre.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This sounds like a sweet children's book. I'm sure it would have gotten four stars if not for the font size and the editing issues. I hope that the author is able to make the necessary changes, because this story seems like a gem!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
mercy wangechi
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by mercy wangechi »

its a great review. i am encouraged to read this book and also my kids will definitely love it as christmas is not so far from now.
its a good book despite the small font
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Sounds like a good book - although I would be a little turned off by the small font. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a really good book for the holidays. I hope the author can fix the small font. Having the child read along is a big part of sharing the love of reading.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story about the unlikely friendship between a man and his magical cat sounds lovely. It is nice that the book contains some info about Alaskan culture and that the illustrations capture the essence of the Christmas spirit, but too bad about the small font. Nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing story about the true value of friendship and I loved the book so much that I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebook.org review of the book was written superbly.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Great cover illustrations, the plot for this book sounds warm and magical.. a bit to bad that the font don't really match up and I think additional editing or next edition (if author prefer, i don't know), I'm sure the book would be greatly enjoyable. thank you for your great review. It helps me to decide to give this a shot, and I will despite the technical errors in the book.
Have a pleasant day!
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

A cute looking Christmas book with promises that adults will enjoy it just as much as children? Sounds like an excellent way to get into the holiday spirit. I'd never considered the fact that a older male protagonist may not capture a child's attention as well as other choices might, but you make a very good point.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Sounds like a charming Christmas story. Quite unfortunate about the editing issues. I found the story delightful
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a cute idea, a magical kitty, Blue, helps Santa save Christmas! It's great to hear that the illustrations worked so well. Too bad about the small font and the errors found here, but I'm gad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Children's Books”