Official Review: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Re: Official Review: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas

Post by Frenjie »

This one is cool and a perfect read at the moment as Christmas feel intensifies. The inclusion of Alaskan culture in the story makes it sound more interesting. Putting aside the concern relative to the font size and some run-on sentences, I find this book fascinating in general. Thanks for the superb review!
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Wendy_marie
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Wendy_marie »

I agree the font of the book was very small. I had to bring my phone up to my nose to see it. And even then it was hard to read. I even tried to zoom in and that didn't work I tried to find the font control on my app. But that didn't work. I think if they fixed the issue it would be a cute book that I would enjoy. Personality I did not see the other editing errors because the font was so small.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

While I always love a good story cat story I am not sure that I will really read this one. I love Christmas but do not really like stories about it. It sounds like the pictures are great though!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Having looked at the book, I agree with the reviewer's points. The illustrations are very nice but the font size is definitely too small. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. Christmas time is such a wonderful time. I love all the holiday stories. I will be cuddling up with my relatives and reading the kids this book with a glass of egg nog to sip on lol
gabriel23brinson
Currently Reading: The Wave
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriel23brinson.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by gabriel23brinson »

I just finished reading the book and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The author did a great job of painting the perfect picture. Blue sounds like an amazing cat. I don't think I would of been able to keep that cat a secret as well as Mike did. The words were pretty small though, that's the only problem with this book. The writer chose a weird font to write in also. Above all, this is a wonderful Christmas story and it's so original! I would definitely read this book to my kids if I had any. I always love a good story that leaves you imagining different outcomes. I did think it was a little weird a cat taught Santa's reindeer how to fly though. Still great book, seriously!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I read this story on my cloud Kindle reader on my pc and if you double click on the font, it becomes twice the size making it easier to read.

This is a totally cute and unique (to me) story. I'm wondering if the author made it completely up or if it is some sort of conglomeration of other folktales and stuff. A tiger instead of reindeer is kinda different for Santa, don't cha think? LOL
amazighia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amazighia »

The review is fairly balanced as it included the weak along with the strong points of the book. I liked it.
Cutienerdy21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutienerdy21.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by Cutienerdy21 »

Great review!! The illustrations sounds wonderful but I’m still not sure if I want to read this book because of its font size. I do hope they fix it because I really want to know this magical Christmas story. My eyesight can’t take it and that would be a waste.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
gabriel23brinson
Currently Reading: The Wave
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriel23brinson.html

Post by gabriel23brinson »

Cutienerdy21 wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 19:09 Great review!! The illustrations sounds wonderful but I’m still not sure if I want to read this book because of its font size. I do hope they fix it because I really want to know this magical Christmas story. My eyesight can’t take it and that would be a waste.
No way you should totally read it. It's not that bad at all. It's worth it actually.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Sounds like a cute little Christmas book. It's a shame about the font though, I once read a children's book where the font caused the letters to merge together. I had trouble working out what some of the words were, so no idea how children were supposed to cope.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like this book, but agree that a proper editing job makes a story more polished. I think that if the novel had better editing, the font might have been bigger. I also believe that having tiny font that is hard to read deters an adult from reading this book to their child. My favorite part of the book are the pictures which are essential for a children's story.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Sammy Rose
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-rose.html

Post by Sammy Rose »

Thank you for the detailed review. In spite of some of its listed down falls, this is definitely a book for me and my family!
We are not only pet lovers but also get into the Christmas spirit very much. ;) Seeing as though we know how hard it is to turn out an animal in need, I believe my entire family will truly enjoy this read.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I enjoyed your review, but I wonder if it's true that children won't like the old man? Children love Santa and he's an old man. This story sounds very sweet overall. Hopefully the author can fix the font and sentence errors.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 15:37 I suppose Mike is Santa. I attempted to read the book from my phone and ended up admiring the pretty pictures and squinting at the wee words. I'll have to reread from my laptop to see better.

Thanks, MarisaRose, for a cool review! Thanks, BOTD, for the free sleigh ride with Mike and Blue in magical Alaska!
I have finally read those wee words! Mike isn't Santa after all.

Pssst, Santa, all I want for Christmas is for the text of "The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas" to become larger. LOL

Return to “Children's Books”