Fish in a Tree by Linda Mulally Hunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Fish in a Tree by Linda Mulally Hunt

Post by Basya »

Ally Nickerson has never lived in one place for long. Her father is a military officer now stationed overseas. However, for the sixth grader, each move is not a positive one. For in every new school, Ally finds herself playing the same game: fooling the teacher into believing that she can read. How can she decipher what is on the page when bright lights and staring at white paper with black letters on it cause headaches? Ally endures the teasing of her classmates rather than seeking help. There is no point, she believes, for no one can cure her of being “dumb.” She knows that when her current teacher leaves before her baby is born, things will be the same with a new person at the helm. The only positive things in her life are her art (she has a natural talent) and the fascinating “mind movies” that she plays in her head.

Enter Mr. Daniels. Like Ms. Frizzle of The Magic School Bus fame, the new teacher is enthusiastic—and it shows. He calls his new charges “Fantasticos” and introduces new subject matter with the exuberance of someone hosting a social event. Even Ally, with her years of making herself unnoticed when she is not trying to keep teachers from learning the truth about her, finds herself wanting to please Mr. Daniels.

Lynda Mulally Hunt has written a masterpiece. She brings readers into the heart and mind of a girl whose perception of the world is colored by academic "failure." Through her spot-on observations of her world and the people in it, Ally demonstrates the intelligence and insight she is convinced only other people have. For example:

“I wish [my mother] could understand my world. But it would be like trying to explain to a whale what it’s like to live in the forest.”

“I am not going to let her see me upset. I remember: Life with Shay is like playing chess. Don’t get flustered. Don’t make mistakes.”

As readers watch Ally deal with the struggles that are part and parcel of her existence and learn what real friendship is, they will find themselves cheering her on. All the people in Ally’s world are well-rounded, believable characters. She takes her place alongside girls who are heroines in every sense of the word. Readers who empathize with Ally Nickerson will also be inspired by My Brother Made Me Do It by Peg Kehret (who herself overcame a disability) and Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper, an author writing with the authority of extensive teaching experience. (A note to parents, teachers, and librarians: Fish in a Tree is as much a YA novel as it is a children's story. Share it with members of both groups.) I give this phenomenal story 4 out of 4 stars.
T_Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by T_Elizabeth »

As I concluded the summary portion of your review I found myself already invested in Ally's story and asking 'what happens next', so I will definitely need to add this to my want-to-read shelf. Thanks for the review!
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

I see you also reviewed Health Tips, Tricks, and Myths. It appears that we have some common reading tastes. Thank you, T. Elizabeth, for your kind words.

Return to “Children's Books”