Official Review: The little Lilly.Lilly's Adventures.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The little Lilly.Lilly's Adventures.

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The little Lilly.Lilly's Adventures." by Dimitris Lamproulis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Little Lilly: Lilly’s Adventures by Dimitris Lamproulis is a children’s book geared towards children aged 6-12. This books presents age appropriate lessons to the reader with the use of colorful characters and vivid scenes. These characters include animals and insects, such as Little Lilly, a young ladybug.

In this adventurous little tale, we follow along with Lilly in her search for the famous bug doctor after her mother falls ill. He is the only one who can help! During her travels, Lilly makes a new friend, escapes a dangerous situation, and visits an interesting city full of magic and wonder.

Although she is too young to fly, Lilly proves that she is strong enough and clever enough to pull through for her family. Through the eyes of our little lady bug, children will encounter the magic of some famous Disney characters, the fear of potential dangers felt when Lilly was traveling through the unknown, and the love she undoubtedly had for her family members as well as her new friend.

This really is a cute children’s story. I feel like the age range suggested for this book is a bit ambitious, though. The Little Lilly is a 68 page book without the aid of colorful pictures. While it is a fun story, this book may not hold the attention of a six or seven-year-old. However, the latter part of this age group can probably read this story over the span of a weekend. I think it would be helpful, though, if there were chapter breaks throughout the book. There are clear breaks in ideas where the author has put a line of text in bold, and this would be an ideal place to start a new chapter. That would make it easier for a child to find a stopping point in his or her reading, while making the text appear neater and more pleasing to the eye.

It also seems as if this book was not professionally edited. I ran into several errors while reading. In the beginning of the story, for example, the author used the word leaving where I think he meant living. There are several cases where commas are left out when needed, or included when not needed. At times, multiple punctuation appears. One sentence included an exclamation point, quotation marks, and then a period. Some sentences were simply phrased in an awkward manner, and could be worded to sound better and more understandable for the intended audience.

Because this story is ultimately a good story with a positive message, I cannot rate it 2 stars, regardless of the many errors. So, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to children in the middle school age range of 9 to 11; perhaps 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. Ideally, this is before they have “aged-out” of such children’s books, but after they have a better grasp on reading chapter books or books without pictures to help keep their attention.

The author does a good job of passing along the positive messages this book holds. So, by the time a child has finished reading, he or she should have a good grasp on what the author is portraying in his book.

The little Lilly.Lilly's Adventures.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
AriyoJam
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AriyoJam »

My sis would love this one. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds so cute. I love the premise of the story. It's too bad about the errors, but I'm glad the story was strong enough to carry it even with the errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Thanks for the review. I've got kids who are 5 and 6 so I'll give it another couple years.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

AriyoJam wrote:My sis would love this one. Nice review.
Thank you! I bet she would; it's a fun little story.

-- 04 Sep 2017, 16:03 --
kandscreeley wrote:This sounds so cute. I love the premise of the story. It's too bad about the errors, but I'm glad the story was strong enough to carry it even with the errors.
I wonder if there may be a language barrier. Perhaps English isn't the author's first language, or at least not American English. If that is the case (which I'm not saying it definitely is), and the intended audience includes American children, then a proofreader fluent in American English would definitely be beneficial.
The story is still enjoyable, though, and the message is clear. ?

-- 04 Sep 2017, 16:15 --
RegularGuy3 wrote:Thanks for the review. I've got kids who are 5 and 6 so I'll give it another couple years.
I hope they enjoy the book if you decide to get it when they're a little older. ? Thanks for stopping by!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review. I can certainly understand you didn't want to give the book a lower rating. Even with the errors, it's always nice to see a children's book with a positive message. I agree that it's better to have chapter breaks so that a child can have a stopping point. I feel the same way about adult books!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thorough review. I can certainly understand you didn't want to give the book a lower rating. Even with the errors, it's always nice to see a children's book with a positive message. I agree that it's better to have chapter breaks so that a child can have a stopping point. I feel the same way about adult books!
I feel the same way about adult books, too. It's rare that I read one without chapter breaks, but every now and then, I do. I'm so glad my rating made sense! Thank you for your thoughts!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I think this sounds like it's a bit too long for younger children, but those that are really into reading might still enjoy the book. It sounds like a really cute story, though, it would have been nice if there was a few pictures to go along with it too.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I think this sounds like it's a bit too long for younger children, but those that are really into reading might still enjoy the book. It sounds like a really cute story, though, it would have been nice if there was a few pictures to go along with it too.
I agree. If the author decides to publish a revised edition, even one picture at the beginning of each chapter would be helpful. Thank you for your thoughts!
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Sounds like a good book for me to read to my 7 year old grand daughter.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The title of this book quickly caught my attention as a children's story. I think The Little Lilly: Lilly’s Adventures by Dimitris Lamproulis has an important moral lesson of being there for one's family which will appeal to children and adult-lovers of this genre like me.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Bluecobia wrote:Sounds like a good book for me to read to my 7 year old grand daughter.
I hope she enjoys it if you do!

-- 14 Sep 2017, 00:11 --
KlareAllison wrote:The title of this book quickly caught my attention as a children's story. I think The Little Lilly: Lilly’s Adventures by Dimitris Lamproulis has an important moral lesson of being there for one's family which will appeal to children and adult-lovers of this genre like me.
Yes! Family is definitely a central theme for this book. Thank you for your thoughts!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

This really is a cute children’s story. I feel like the age range suggested for this book is a bit ambitious, though. The Little Lilly is a 68 page book without the aid of colorful pictures. While it is a fun story, this book may not hold the attention of a six or seven-year-old.
Hi Christina, I think this statement is very relatable. My kids wouldn't even have a try at a book without any pictures. I enjoyed your review, I hope the author corrects the errors and possibly add more pictures.
Ezeanya Ifeoma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ezeanya Ifeoma »

Wow.. What a very nice review
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

juliusotinyo wrote:
This really is a cute children’s story. I feel like the age range suggested for this book is a bit ambitious, though. The Little Lilly is a 68 page book without the aid of colorful pictures. While it is a fun story, this book may not hold the attention of a six or seven-year-old.
Hi Christina, I think this statement is very relatable. My kids wouldn't even have a try at a book without any pictures. I enjoyed your review, I hope the author corrects the errors and possibly add more pictures.
Pictures do so much to aid in keeping the attention of younger audiences. I, too, hope the author makes some corrections and adds more pictures. I think that would do a lot to broaden the book's appeal. Thank you for stopping by, and for sharing your thoughts!

-- 14 Oct 2017, 18:55 --
Ezeanya Ifeoma wrote:Wow.. What a very nice review
Thank you!

Return to “Children's Books”