Review of You Made Me Momma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Review of You Made Me Momma

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Made Me Momma" by Linda Ruth Layer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Some books always move you, whether you are an adult or still a child. One of these wonderful books is You Made Me Momma! by Linda Ruth Layer, in which the author tells how she adopted her son. She had no children of her own, but since the biological parents of the one who would become her son could not care for him, she did not hesitate to become his adoptive mother. She had to wait to bring him home because he was born prematurely, but she gave him all the love that his biological parents could not give him. This beautiful story will fill readers' hearts with tenderness and joy.

I must say that I liked this book very much because you can feel the author's sweetness and feelings on every page. The book is short, but it is one of those cases in which a few pages are sufficient to paint a precise and perfect picture of what a person experienced and to explain it effectively to readers.

The text would be enough to make readers understand the author's joy in adopting her son and all her love for him, but the images are equally impactful. The first, in particular, struck me because it describes the author's situation before the adoption, and given that the predominant color is blue, it inspires a profound sense of sadness.

I do not think this book has negative sides. It is very well-edited, and I found only one small oversight; this is another reason why the book is so pleasant to read.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it deserves it for all its qualities, and I unreservedly recommend it to both adults and children. I am sure that it will move and inspire anyone regardless of age, and if adults can reflect on a delicate topic such as adoption, children will be uplifted by the joy that this beautiful story conveys.

You Made Me Momma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”