Official Review: Toby's Frightening Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Toby's Frightening Adventure

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toby's Frightening Adventure" by Christina Cameron.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toby’s Frightening Adventure is a children’s book written and illustrated by Christina Cameron. Toby is a domesticated cat that longs to go outside to play. He is let outside to bask in the sun and run around. Unfortunately, his bliss is disrupted when he hears a threatening sound and sees an enemy rushing towards him. Toby darts to safety and ends up stuck in a tall tree. How will he get down? This book was based on a true-life story. The author briefly retells the real account at the end of the book. She also includes a picture of Toby.

There were many things that I liked about this book. It was very reminiscent of a little child’s scrapbook. The pages looked like pastel-colored manila paper with cut out drawings glued to most of them. The story was written using big bold letters that would be very beneficial to younger readers who need to point to the words on the page as they read. On average, there were only about ten words per page and there were only twenty pages dedicated to the telling of the story.

I also liked the style of drawing that was used throughout the book. The drawings did not try to emulate a clean ‘Disney-like’ cartoon look as many other children’s books have done. Rather, they looked like the drawings that little children work so hard on with their crayons. I think that the drawings and scrapbook feel of this book would inspire the young readers to write and illustrate their own story using a scrapbook.

It was really great that I did not spot a single grammatical error in this book. I believe that the target audience for this book is young readers between the ages of four to eight. Hence, my only lament was that this story did not really have a moral message that would shape the children’s mind.

Moreover, I would like to inform readers that a paperback version of this book can be bought on Amazon.com at $13.99. I would like to recommend this story to parents with young children but the current price seems too expensive for this book. I would suggest that the author at least make a cheaper e-book version available for purchase.

In conclusion, I rate Toby’s Frightening Adventure 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it a full star rating because I believe that the story was not complete without a moral lesson.

Toby's Frightening Adventure
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I love a story about animals. I like this book. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review. i feel that book is full of arts. Cheers! :lol:
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi Jaime,
Great review, this story might appeal to my little girl. She loves cats and is fast learning how to read. I might get her copy.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Seems like a beautiful book for young minds. Its good that the picture look like they are drawn by children. May be I will grab a copy of this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I appreciate a good story that features animals, the fact that this story is influenced by real events makes it more appealing. Thanks for the review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thank you everyone who has read and or commented on this review.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

This seems like such a cute story.. and well illustrated ai might add. Too bad there wasn't much of a moral to the story. Maybe the novel will inspire children in its well crafted depiction. Thank you for a great review nonetheless.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad there wasn't a moral lesson, but I like the fact that it might encourage kids to make their own scrapbooks. That's kind of a cute idea. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am not impressed by plot that much but I am loving its cover?
Very nice review ??
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, the book is quite pricey. I do hope the author heeds your suggestion to lower the price. And too bad there's no lesson there.

Thanks for your candid, cute and clear review, Jaime!
lizasulit64
Currently Reading: Contact and Conflict
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by lizasulit64 »

Great review i appreciate a good story that feature animals congrats!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I greatly enjoy children's books. I like when we get the chance to review them on here. Sounds like a good book!
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Thanks for the review. I like that you pointed out the need for a moral lesson, it's necessary.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Ama Idim wrote:Thanks for the review. I like that you pointed out the need for a moral lesson, it's necessary.
Yes, I believe that it is imperative for stories, especially those geared towards children, to teach the children good values.

Once again, thank to everyone who has read and or commented on this review.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I love children's book.The fact that Toby’s Frightening Adventure is a real life story of a cat that got missing is appealing. I also like the cover illustrations because of its unique appearance which points to the efforts from a child's artistic drawing of cat.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Children's Books”