Official Review: The Oregon Kids by Bob Richley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Oregon Kids by Bob Richley

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Oregon Kids" by Bob Richley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Oregon Kids: Runaway Whiskers by Bob Richley is an illustrated children's book that tells the story of Billy (9) and Autumn (6), two siblings who live in a small suburb of Oregon. One day, after visiting a petting zoo, Autumn dreamed about having a pet bunny of her own. She'd always loved animals but had no pets and bunnies were her favorite!

By pure coincidence, a little girl named Johanna who lived nearby ended up being surprised with a pet bunny by her father. She loved her dearly and named her Whiskers. Whiskers was kept in the garage in a cage and Johanna came and played with her every day. One day, Johanna went in the garage to play with Whiskers to find that the cage was open and Whiskers was gone! Johanna was crushed, and all she could do was hope that someone would find her and bring her back.

At that moment, Autumn was outside playing with her brother Billy. As luck would have it, Whiskers ran by and Autumn found her! Autumn wanted nothing more than to keep the bunny, but Billy and her father agreed they had to bring Whiskers back.

Runaway Whiskers, like many children's books, teaches a lesson - no matter how badly we want something, if it belongs to someone else we need to return it. Autumn wanted nothing more than a bunny, and it's easy to think that wanting one so badly and then having one randomly appear would be a blessing. It was no surprise, then, that Autumn didn't want to give Whiskers up. After he father explained that if Autumn had a pet that she loved dearly and it ran away she would want someone to return it she understood. In Autumn's case, she ends up losing a bunny but gains a new friend, and perhaps even more as the book goes on...

The illustrations in Runaway Whiskers are great. The cover is a perfect example - the image of the girl crying in her mom's arms is actually from the page where Johanna finds out Whiskers is gone. The facial expressions are sweet, and there are a few instances where it's impossible not to feel sad for Johanna or happy for the kids while they play. The book is formatted into dual-page images - there's one single image across both pages and the text is in white on the right page. This held true the entire book with one exception - there was one page where the image on the left side didn't match the right, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't figure out why that background was chosen.

Runaway Whiskers is also the second book in "The Oregon Kids" series. The first, The Oregon Kids: The Big Catch was (I'm 99% sure but can't verify) an Online Book Club book of the day in the past. My review file (a .mobi file) for this book included a few pages of The Big Catch, and it reminded me of how silly and fun that book seemed. Although this is the second book of the series, it stands alone perfectly as well.

Between the excellent illustrations and a sweet, relatable story that tells an excellent lesson, my rating of The Oregon Kids: Runaway Whiskers by Bob Richley is 4 out of 4 stars. While some of the images could perhaps have used a bit more detail and the text was a bit small at times to fit on one page it's a fun, adorable children's book. On the Amazon page the recommended grade level is K-3 and I'd definitely agree, although I'd also add that any child getting a pet for the first time or who happens to find a missing pet (or wallet or anything else they really want but isn't theirs) could use this story.

The Oregon Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sounds like such a valuable lesson for children - to return something that belongs to someone else. I think you're right, this could be applicable with any object that is found and doesn't belong to the finder. I love that the illustrations were done well; when looking at the cover, I can easily see easy it would be to feel for the characters, like you said. Too bad about some of the font being small and some images needing more details, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The first book was indeed the BOTD at the time. This sounds like a sweet kids' book as well. A fun story about a lost pet that teaches valuable lessons is a good book to have. I am not the target audience, so will pass. I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I definitely LOVE when the #BOTD is a children's book! Lessons kids learn through the experieces of other kids (or characters) are the best because it lets them know they are not alone in the world. Things always seem more devastating when you feel no one can relate to what you are going through. Sounds like a great book for kids, and I have downloaded my copy. Thank you so much for your review! :-)
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

This book reminds me of the first time I got a pet and then lost it :( Books with sweet, relatable story that tells excellent lessons are always good to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a fun story with nice illustrations. It's always good for children's stories like this to have a moral to go along with it. Thanks for another lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The valuable lesson from this book - do not keep (or get) what isn't yours - is something even adults should learn. "Finders, keepers!" has become the norm that we sometimes believe it is acceptable.

CataclysmicKnight, truly, the font is minuscule. I couldn't make out any of the words from my phone.
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Booklover1606 »

I had a pet bunny as a child. I think I would have enjoyed this book.
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Booklover1606 »

I had a pet bunny as a child. I think I would have enjoyed this book.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

Each book, in my opinion, teaches lessons but in children's books these lessons are more obvious. Very often small chidren just do not understand the notion of stealing, if they want something they take it and if they are asked to give it back "a fit of anger errupts" and nothing seems to calm the child down. It is good that this book gives us a good example to learn that things should be returned to their owners. Thanks for the review.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This sounds like a wonderful book for little ones. With colorful illustrations and a terrific moral of right and wrong, a “do unto others” message it would make a great gift. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

"Honesty is the best policy."
"Finders should not be keepers."
This book teaches lessons to all people. This may be a children's book which lessons benefit the grown ups too.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

Such a sweet children's story book! This will be a good read to parents who like reading children stories to their kids. However, the lesson it brings is for everyone, young or old. This work reminds us one of God's 10 commandments - not to keep what doesn't belong to you. And it applies not only to pets but to anything, even the non-material ones. Nice review. Thanks!
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

This book teaches how to be honest and responsible. Children understand better if values are taught through stories. Thanks for the review.
Wendell1992
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wendell1992 »

:tiphat: Great book to read mostly for our youth and children... theres allot of life lesson to learn...keep it up...

Return to “Children's Books”