Official Review: The Alphabet Thief by Susan Chodakiewitz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Alphabet Thief by Susan Chodakiewitz

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alphabet Thief" by Susan Chodakiewitz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Alphabet Thief is a children’s picture book written by Susan Chodakiewitz and illustrated by Mosa Tanksley. Words that start from A to Z are gathering at the Annual Word Convention when the first letter of a couple of words are stolen. These words include Love, Elegant, Perfume, Hug, Adventure , Talent, and Beauty. The rest of the words provide commentary on who would steal the letters. As the words try to figure out who stole the letters, Think suggests that unscrambling the stolen letters would help give a clue on the alphabet thief. In the end, the words figure out who stole the letters and are surprised when they find out who the thief is.

The book is about twenty pages long and filled with bright and colorful illustrations. The illustrations went along with the text and provided an accurate representation of the text. I like how each word is uniquely made, and each word is designed to match the definition of the word. For example, Love is designed in a shape of a heart, and Reporter is made to look like a reporter.

This is a great book for parents to read to their kids during bedtime. The book provides a lot of words that can be used to teach kids new words. However, there are a few words that are a little too advanced for kids, like the words “deviating” and “scoundrel”. There were even a few words that I didn’t know, like the word “ schlemiel”. The word schlemiel is defined as an awkward or unlucky person. However, there was a glossary at the end of the book that defined the meaning of a couple of words.

This book also teaches a lesson on being proud of who you are and provides a good example that everyone is different. It also teaches a lesson about forgiving those who have wronged you and apologizing to those who you have hurt. This book also provides a small grammar lesson on the importance of the word “a”.

Overall, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the story and looking at the vivid illustrations. I was also able to learn a few unusual words that I never knew existed. I also like how the book taught a lesson at the end. I recommend this book to kids from three to eleven years old, provided that they have someone to explain the meaning of some of the words.

The Alphabet Thief
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:54 --

Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:55 --

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:56 --

'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

bookiegalke wrote:Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Super cute! Oh my gosh, I'm an adult but I wanna read this and get down to the mystery of who stole the book! I'm glad you enjoyed this book Zena! Thanks for the great review! :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I love children books they are always interesting with great pictures.sounds like a great educational book.great review
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a really cute and unique idea! Sounds like a great book for kids. I love that the illustrations are good too. Always important in a children's book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Super cute! Oh my gosh, I'm an adult but I wanna read this and get down to the mystery of who stole the book! I'm glad you enjoyed this book Zena! Thanks for the great review! :)
Thanks for reading!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Thank you so much for the review, ZenaLei. It's really informative. I want to read the book already.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This book sounds soooo cute! I also love it when children's books have large and obscure words in them. I think they make excellent learning opportunities. I also love that there is a thinking element with the scrambled letters. I'd love to read this book.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Afuglsan wrote:This book sounds soooo cute! I also love it when children's books have large and obscure words in them. I think they make excellent learning opportunities. I also love that there is a thinking element with the scrambled letters. I'd love to read this book.
Thanks for reading!
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Nice review, I'll like to read it
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like such a fun read for children! It's also a book they can learn from because it teaches them their letters and they even learn new words as well!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

This children's alphabet book sounds like it would be great for teaching new vocabulary to older kids. Thanks for the informative review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
JCasia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCasia »

this is really nice and utmost educational.. i myself dont even know such words existed, thank you for the fruitful review. i will be recommending this book..
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

JCasia wrote:this is really nice and utmost educational.. i myself dont even know such words existed, thank you for the fruitful review. i will be recommending this book..
Thanks for reading !

Return to “Children's Books”