Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Children's Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Alphabet Thief by Susan Chodakiewitz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.

Official Review: The Alphabet Thief by Susan Chodakiewitz

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 19 Jul 2017, 17:02

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alphabet Thief" by Susan Chodakiewitz.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

The Alphabet Thief is a children’s picture book written by Susan Chodakiewitz and illustrated by Mosa Tanksley. Words that start from A to Z are gathering at the Annual Word Convention when the first letter of a couple of words are stolen. These words include Love, Elegant, Perfume, Hug, Adventure , Talent, and Beauty. The rest of the words provide commentary on who would steal the letters. As the words try to figure out who stole the letters, Think suggests that unscrambling the stolen letters would help give a clue on the alphabet thief. In the end, the words figure out who stole the letters and are surprised when they find out who the thief is.

The book is about twenty pages long and filled with bright and colorful illustrations. The illustrations went along with the text and provided an accurate representation of the text. I like how each word is uniquely made, and each word is designed to match the definition of the word. For example, Love is designed in a shape of a heart, and Reporter is made to look like a reporter.

This is a great book for parents to read to their kids during bedtime. The book provides a lot of words that can be used to teach kids new words. However, there are a few words that are a little too advanced for kids, like the words “deviating” and “scoundrel”. There were even a few words that I didn’t know, like the word “ schlemiel”. The word schlemiel is defined as an awkward or unlucky person. However, there was a glossary at the end of the book that defined the meaning of a couple of words.

This book also teaches a lesson on being proud of who you are and provides a good example that everyone is different. It also teaches a lesson about forgiving those who have wronged you and apologizing to those who you have hurt. This book also provides a small grammar lesson on the importance of the word “a”.

Overall, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the story and looking at the vivid illustrations. I was also able to learn a few unusual words that I never knew existed. I also like how the book taught a lesson at the end. I recommend this book to kids from three to eleven years old, provided that they have someone to explain the meaning of some of the words.

The Alphabet Thief
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 47%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Alphabet Thief by Susan Chodakiewit

Post Number:#2 by bookiegalke
» 27 Jul 2017, 01:53

Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:54 --

Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:55 --

-- 27 Jul 2017, 01:56 --

'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 27 Jul 2017, 02:48

bookiegalke wrote:Books belonging to the children genre interest me and this one wouldn't be an exception.good review

Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 27 Jul 2017, 02:58

Super cute! Oh my gosh, I'm an adult but I wanna read this and get down to the mystery of who stole the book! I'm glad you enjoyed this book Zena! Thanks for the great review! :)
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Everything is gonna be alright" by Treava
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#5 by 0719672189
» 27 Jul 2017, 03:56

I love children books they are always interesting with great pictures.sounds like a great educational book.great review
0719672189's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 27 Jul 2017, 07:22

That's a really cute and unique idea! Sounds like a great book for kids. I love that the illustrations are good too. Always important in a children's book!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#7 by ZenaLei7
» 27 Jul 2017, 09:12

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Super cute! Oh my gosh, I'm an adult but I wanna read this and get down to the mystery of who stole the book! I'm glad you enjoyed this book Zena! Thanks for the great review! :)

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by LadyClaire
» 27 Jul 2017, 16:42

Thank you so much for the review, ZenaLei. It's really informative. I want to read the book already.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#9 by Afuglsan
» 27 Jul 2017, 18:05

This book sounds soooo cute! I also love it when children's books have large and obscure words in them. I think they make excellent learning opportunities. I also love that there is a thinking element with the scrambled letters. I'd love to read this book.
Afuglsan

Currently Reading: Accidentally Dead
Bookshelf Size: 129 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 63%

Post Number:#10 by ZenaLei7
» 27 Jul 2017, 18:23

Afuglsan wrote:This book sounds soooo cute! I also love it when children's books have large and obscure words in them. I think they make excellent learning opportunities. I also love that there is a thinking element with the scrambled letters. I'd love to read this book.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Ama Idim
» 28 Jul 2017, 04:31

Nice review, I'll like to read it
Ama Idim

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#12 by Amagine
» 28 Jul 2017, 05:37

This sounds like such a fun read for children! It's also a book they can learn from because it teaches them their letters and they even learn new words as well!

Great Review! 🐼
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Tattered Box
Bookshelf Size: 689 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#13 by Penny Lee
» 28 Jul 2017, 12:17

This children's alphabet book sounds like it would be great for teaching new vocabulary to older kids. Thanks for the informative review.
Penny Lee's Latest Review: "Chains" by Frances Hendry
Penny Lee

Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Chariots In The Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 442 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 410%

Post Number:#14 by JCasia
» 30 Jul 2017, 07:59

this is really nice and utmost educational.. i myself dont even know such words existed, thank you for the fruitful review. i will be recommending this book..
JCasia

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#15 by ZenaLei7
» 30 Jul 2017, 08:17

JCasia wrote:this is really nice and utmost educational.. i myself dont even know such words existed, thank you for the fruitful review. i will be recommending this book..

Thanks for reading !
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Next