Official Review: Little Leo's Bad day by Dale Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Little Leo's Bad day by Dale Allen

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Leo's Bad day" by Dale Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes the attitude a person has going into a day is what sets them up for an epic, awesome day or an awful, bad day. Such is the case with Little Leo's Bad Day by Dale Allen. This 30-ish page illustrated children's book is 3 really short stories in one - Little Leo's Bad Day, Little Leo's Dog Day and Little Leo and his Missing Toys.

Author Dale Allen explores three separate little stories to teach lessons on the importance of a positive attitude and being nice. Leo is a six-year-old who lives with his dad, and it's his dad who sneaks the lessons into each of the stories. Leo also loves playing with his cars and playing with friends or his dog. He's a realistic kid and the images in the book make it easy to relate to his little adventures.

The first story, the titular Little Leo's Bad Day, has Leo in a bad mood when he wakes up. When he asks his dad if he still has to go to school his dad tells him that if he doesn't go, he won't be able to see his friends! He explains that "the day is what you make it", and Leo ends up having a terrific day! The second story is similar but his dad explains why his dog won't play with him when he's in a bad mood, but the third story was my favorite. In Little Leo and his Missing Toys, Leo is playing roughly with his toy cars. When he won't calm down after being warned repeatedly by his dad his cars go missing while he's asleep, and Leo is led to believe they ran away because they were being treated so badly. They return, of course, after he promises to be nicer to them. The lessons are very straightforward but also good lessons to teach a child. A positive outlook is particularly important, especially when a child is being stubbornly fussy or upset!

Unfortunately, the text in the book is tiny! The ebook alternates between images and text, which is fine, but for whatever reason the text is also an image with a white background. As such, it isn't anywhere near as big as standard ebook text, and in fact when rotated sideways becomes even smaller. I really ended up straining my eyes to read the text most of the time, and on pages with more text I actually zoomed in on the "image" so I wouldn't get eye strain. The illustrations, on the other hand, are wonderful. The kids are all cute and cheery, as is dad, and the images are all colorful and fun. It was especially fun in the third story to see the toys that "ran away" hidden in the image, and then to see them right back in his room after they "come back".

While I felt like the book was a little on the short side, it really wasn't. There was a fair bit of text on most of the pages, often numerous paragraphs, and I've reviewed children's books that were 30 pages (or less!) before. It's just the nature of it having 3 stories that made it feel shorter than it really was. Being broken down into 3 mini-stories also means that very young children without much of an attention span can have a whole story read to them in a matter of minutes, or it can be re-read to them when they're having a bad day or playing roughly with their toys. My official rating of Little Leo's Bad Day by Dale Allen is 3 out of 4 stars.

Little Leo's Bad day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

It's good to see a seemingly long children's book that's actually 3 stories in one. The attention span of children is really a challenge. Good job on the review!
-rk
crystal clear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by crystal clear »

Good one!
kunlebass
Currently Reading: Soundproof Future Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: Tablet

Post by kunlebass »

Good research on the kids Dale !!!!Congratulations on the review. I'm sure the kids will enjoy this.
cynlorde911

Post by cynlorde911 »

very good!
lancer254
Currently Reading: Confrontation
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by lancer254 »

Great job on that review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I really like the idea of a book which teaches children to have a positive outlook. I should get this for my little sister's grumpy days! Thanks for the great review!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
mbalu mutisya

Post by mbalu mutisya »

it is very goog and smart to children ...more intresting .I love it
beatriceanyango
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by beatriceanyango »

wow love it
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Nice review. What a lesson teaching book to children cant wait to share with my little brother.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I love reading children's books, gives me stories to tell when with kids, kids book always carry a nice message with them and this one isn't a exclusion, this book which teaches children the importance of positive attitude, this is a strong message and I like the book despite it's shortcomings. Nice review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Okay, that was a great review. The way you made it appear, apart from the tiny texts and images the book seemed next to perfect. I already have my eyes on a particular story. Like the quote from the book, 'the day is what you make it'. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Uwazie Emmanuel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwazie-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Uwazie Emmanuel »

The book is good for inculcating the right attitude towards life, others and properties in children. I grasped the good message of the book by reading the review which was a simple but informative job.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
micarida
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micarida.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by micarida »

Very nice. This lesson is not for just kids actually. Having a positive attitude is key to a lot of positive outcomes.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I like the fact that this book comes in the style of three mini stories. I think it is a device used by Dale Allen to engage children's attention till the end of each story. I find the morals behind the stories interesting, and I also think CataclysmicKnight has done a good job of the review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Children's Books”